By Anonymous - 30/03/2013 20:38 - Germany - Bad Windsheim

Today, I went to the supermarket to get some Easter gifts for my kids. At the register, I was verbally abused to the point of tears by the cashier, for having way too many items for the 12 items or less lane. I had 13. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 513
You deserved it 15 643

Same thing different taste

Top comments

theberndttoast 8

Complain to the manager. That's over the line.

Comments

Totally uncalled for. Complain to their manager and hopefully they'll be fired. If he/she had THAT much of a problem with one extra item they should have politely told you to move to another lane. It's never acceptable to treat a customer like that.

Burton_Forever 23

We'll grow a pair and call for management

TheRandomIndian 17

You and OP are going to grow a pair then call management?

Burton_Forever 23

It's the iPhone autocorrect I'm sorry about that!

itsallbullshit 4
writchey 3

You should have walked out.

artyler 3

So, how much of a rule, with a sign telling you what the rule is, should you be allowed to break? One item is o.k., but five over isn't? Five is o.k., but ten isn't. That's like an employee complaining about getting in trouble for being only five minutes late. Late is late. If the line is labeled for 12 or fewer items, then that is the limit. Why do you feel you are special and should be allowed to "break the rules just a little bit" and get away with it. The teller was enforcing store policy, that you broke. Toughen up butter cup. Sometimes you are not above the rules, and when you break them have to live with the consequences.

Because 1 or 2 items over is usually a mistake! Beyond 3, on purpose! Have you never made a mistake like that? I stay away from those lanes now, even with 1 item! I don't want the bad attitude that they always have.

R4inb0wBrit3 13

"Above the rules"? It was ONE extra item. That's like a cop giving someone a ticket for doing 36 in a 35 zone. There is no need to even say anything about it. The cashier deserves to be fired, and definitely never needs to work in a customer-employee interactive work place again.

I didn't realize people took express lanes so seriously. Some of these comments are so bizarre. Most cashiers don't care if you have a few items over because it's not hard to quickly scan a few extra items. The point of the express lane is so that customers with a few items don't have to wait behind those with full carts. It's really not as serious as you're making it out to be. o.O

Realistically, rules are rules! In response to your example, cops have every right to ticket you for going 1 over. It's called a limit. Don't go past it. Just because most people are flexible enough to let it slide doesn't make it okay, and surely doesn't warrant crying about it on FML.

The rules might be different in other countries but in Australia a cop can't ticket you if you are a few kilometers over the limit, because not everybody's speedometers are 100% accurate. Though staying in the speed limit is a lot more serious than sending a few extra items through the express lane.

#116, I agree with #147 - and I was gonna say the exact same thing. If the speed limit is 60, a cop in Australia can't give you a ticket unless you're clocked going more than 63. Even the LAW makes room for common sense, let alone shopping rules! People like you make this world so much more annoying.

vencku 13

Police sure is lenient over there. Here, you will be fined for going 51 in a 50 p/h zone. If the problem turns out to be the car, you can sue the manufactorer. As a result, all speedometers will be set a bit higher than you actually go. In my car, it shows 50 when I drive only 45 km p/h.

Still, is that a reason to be verbally abused that badly? The cashier could have just said, "You are above the limit, please go to another cashier." No need to be so rude.

#231 Thank God I don't live in America then. The more I hear about it, the more it sounds like an awful place to live.

That's happened to me! I don't see where 1 item matters, if you go above 3 over the limit, I'd see that as a problem! If you're like me, I count my items but inadvertently miss 1 or 2 every time! I always warn them that I may be 1 or 2 over, they say ok, then get the attitude!

So, 42, what you're saying is you're incapable of basic math? If you count every item, how do you "always miss one or two"? You either know how to count or you don't.

vencku 13

That's what I think... . How hard can it be to correctly count 12 items? Though I agree you might sometimes miss one, I would have recounted my items at least three times before taking the express lane.

itsallbullshit 4

OP is not in the US, I don't think Germany is as sue happy as we are.

Even in the US I don't think you'd sue over this. They weren't morally wronged or prejudiced against or had their money taken - they just received sucky customer service, and even then, the argument is weakened slightly as technically OP did have more items than allowed. All you really get to do is complain to the manager or, if it's a chain, head office.

Honestly, I worked as a cashier for a while, and 1 item, even a few items over didn't bother me. Now the person who brought two full carts through overflowing with small items... Now that bugged the crap out of me. Unfortunately, I also wasn't allowed to say anything to even that, and not only had to deal with that person, but the next 5 customers behind them screaming at me.

AllThingsBright_ 11

I wonder exactly what the cashier said...