By Anonymous - 30/03/2013 20:38 - Germany - Bad Windsheim

Today, I went to the supermarket to get some Easter gifts for my kids. At the register, I was verbally abused to the point of tears by the cashier, for having way too many items for the 12 items or less lane. I had 13. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 513
You deserved it 15 643

Same thing different taste

Top comments

theberndttoast 8

Complain to the manager. That's over the line.

Comments

Maybe the reason the cashier was mad at you was because he is triskaidekaphobic.

Steve95401 49

A simple reminder would have worked a lot better.

Wow, I've been into those lines with 20+ items before. Didn't say anything to me. But sorry man.

Customer service is not what it used to be. Even if you were 5 items over it is not like it takes the cashier that much time and effort to ring up the "extra" items. I have seen people with full carts go through express lines which is uncalled for. Next time just respond with "Oh, I am so sorry. This one extra item just caused your place of employment to go out of business. My bad" and stare blankly at them. Sometimes a blank emotionless stare is more frightening then yelling back at them. That is what I do when the occasion presents itself and it usually confuses them enough to make them lose focus and want to get you out the door ASAP.

It's not the effort it takes to ring up the extra item that's the issue; it's that the OP broke a rule that the cashier had to enforce. We don't know the store's policies; maybe they make the cashiers enforce the "x items or less" rule and the cashier had no choice.

well that's a sucky way to start a holiday

democration 6

Even if you give the cashier the benefit of the doubt and assume they'd just been having a really crappy day, it's really no justification for publicly humiliating a customer. Maybe they should have been working one of the checkouts without a limit.

ok I could understand that if you had heaps of items as other customers would get angry , but to go to point where your crying is a way overboard id complain to the manager . that's not called for you only had one item extra

Megan639 16

Still, you should always count the items you have before going into those lines. It's agaist the rules for them to ring you up and they could get fired.

Really? That wounds outrageous to me. Why would a company who spends a good deal of money to hire someone (yes, it costs most retailers a bit of cash to hire someone) only to fire them over a few dollars? That is kind of like saying "The wiper fluid in my car is out, I better go buy another car."

Megan639 16

Have you worked as a cashier? Cause I have and they can fire and replace you within hours. A fact they constantly remind you of.