By Anonymous - 30/03/2013 20:38 - Germany - Bad Windsheim

Today, I went to the supermarket to get some Easter gifts for my kids. At the register, I was verbally abused to the point of tears by the cashier, for having way too many items for the 12 items or less lane. I had 13. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 513
You deserved it 15 643

Same thing different taste

Top comments

theberndttoast 8

Complain to the manager. That's over the line.

Comments

Samster2000 9

Is 13 less than 12? You can't really expect good service if you refuse to co-operate and use the express line with more items than is permitted, especially if you refuse to budge afterwards.

I'm not saying men can't cry! I'm just saying who the **** cries because someone is mean to them for having too many items?!

Wonder if this is the reason the supermarkets here say "ABOUT 10 items or less"? They have a 15 & 20 too, that way no one can bitch or bear the brunt of a bitching.

1 item over is no big deal. Hope you told the manager and the cashier got fired.

Aregonde 15

I'd like to hear exactly what the OP means by "verbal abuse." If the cashier was name-calling, threatening, shouting at, or otherwise personally attacking the OP, s/he should be held accountable for that, but NOT for upholding the store's policies, no matter how stupid they sound. Not all employees are at liberty to make "judgement calls" and bend rules wherever it's convenient. Every employee's ass is on the line during crucial sales periods like Easter. The cashiers probably had orders to enforce the "12 or fewer" rule at all costs, and at some stores, managers can and do audit that. If my job was at stake, and I'd exhausted all my politeness and friendliness on a customer who refused to stop fighting me on rules I couldn't control, I'd go on the offensive, too.

Well if they were calling her stupid or saying "can't you read" or something then that is awful! I feel so bad for you!

Well it's not the 13 item lane now is it?!

That's your own fault. You are probably the same a-hole who never uses their blinker either. If you were meant to have 13 items then the signs would say 13 or less. Rules apparently don't apply to you therefor the cashier is in the right (customer service rules are a joke) it's just too bad that people like you get hard working individuals fired because YOU don't follow signs...asshole

I'm sorry, in what world is someone an asshole for making a simple mistake? And even considering the cashier was in their right, that doesn't make it in *any* way becoming to respond in such a way. Everyone makes mistakes, that doesn't really say much; responding like a douchebag to someone else's mistake is pretty damn telling. Next time; "Everyone makes mistakes, ask your mother." Then run like ****. Works better with soundtrack I guess.

Maybe OP just miscounted, which is pretty easy to do if you're in a rush or the items are small, or wasn't sure how to count items on offer. In the supermarket near me, there's a ten items or less line. If there's a "buy one get one free" offer, they only count it as one item. It's basically one offer = one item. However, that's not true of all places so I could understand how OP could have gone a little over the limit.

That's the whole FML. He was verbally abused to the point of tears. Maybe he was having a bad day already, maybe he is really emotional, maybe he was verbally abused as a child and this triggered memories. You don't know OP and you don't know what the cashier said, so don't judge.

Geez I could understand fifteen or twenty but one extra item geez FYL and complain to the management trust me if they are a big conglomorate they will write him up if not fire him for chasing away a future visit