Read the room

By haqL - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - Mexico - Queretaro

Today, my girlfriend brought a 12-pack of beer to my mother's wake. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 116
You deserved it 5 034

Comments

cutiesoprano22 17

Mabye she was assuming it would be appropriate. For my grandfathers we had 3 cases and plenty of liquor, but that was the kind of man he was he wanted every one to have fun. in fact the alcohol that was brought happend to be the exact ones he tried to bring to the New Year's Day party, but no one drank because they were hung over. No alcoholic but wanted people to have fun. She might have assumed your mother was that kind of person. But you know what happens when you assume. Sorry for your loss

Sorry for your loss. And as for the girlfriend, maybe that's her way of grieving? If anything, you should definitely talk to her and let her know how you feel.

Maybe she thought it was gonna be an Irish wake. Or maybe she's just a douche...

Sorry for your loss maybe she thought "drown your sorrows away with beer??"

I doubt she was trying to be disrespectful in any way unless she brought it just for herself. Not really much different from bringing a bottle of wine, she probably had only good intentions and its not that uncommon.

well at least that is better then a 6 pack

Emiweb 9

When I first read this I was thinking 'I don't get the problem', but clearly from the mixed responses no alcohol seems to be a thing for wakes for other people. I don't think this girl was deliberately being disrespectful, for a start, she bought enough to share. My nan died in very tragic circumstances recently. At the wake a few weeks ago my family were all drinking. My cousin needed the dutch courage before he could even go in to see her body to say his goodbyes. At about 11pm they all realised they'd been drinking and the munchies set in so my aunt went out with the biggest McDonalds order ever. It was a sad but fun evening where we all shared stories of my nan. The 'party' after the funeral itself was at a bar, too. Not everyone has to drink at these (I didn't) but its a total norm for every funeral I've been to. But then my family generate from Ireland. So that ties in with what others have said. TL:RD = Don't ditch the girl (unless there's far more to this story, or you had told her not to bring drink) she most likely didn't know your family wakes are sober affairs. Sorry for your loss.