Read the room

By haqL - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - Mexico - Queretaro

Today, my girlfriend brought a 12-pack of beer to my mother's wake. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 116
You deserved it 5 034

Comments

Completely normal behaviour where I'm from. Lives should be celebrated as well as mourned

Quiet_one 22

Maybe that's what her family does and she meant it as a thoughtful gesture? Just throwing it out there that maybe she wasn't trying to be disrespectful. Or maybe she was, I don't know. I do know that it's common in certain cultures to drink at wakes, so there's still a chance that's what she was expecting and it's just a case of cultural miscommunication. Either way, I'm very sorry for your loss.

jfaucher31 4

If it was only a 6er of beer, that would clearly be rude and inconsiderate, but a full 12 means she is thinking of you too. I say drink to your sorrow and god bless.

Sorry for your loss, and your very inconsiderate girlfriend OP. you need to talk to her, what she did was downright disrespectful

Sounds like a normal funeral to me. But then again so are pranks and jokes most others would consider "too soon".

Man, you Irish. Anyone can take a lesson from you. Something shit happens, get pissed and celebrate. If only all cultures could loosen up like you guys. All the same, if there are cultural differences at play here, I would have checked first. Anyway. Condolences OP. May she rest in peace.

lolita88_fml 27

This is actually a kinda normal thing where I'm from. I've been to many wakes and there's always people drinking and talking about the dead and basically trying to stop things from being really gloomy. That's what I've always thought they were doing anyway, but it could just be for the sake of drinking.