Read the room

By haqL - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - Mexico - Queretaro

Today, my girlfriend brought a 12-pack of beer to my mother's wake. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 116
You deserved it 5 034

Comments

That's awful!! I'm so sorry about your mother OP. I've lost a lot of people in my family so I'm sorry for what you're most-likely going through.

As an Irish girl, I didn't realise that was unusual, in fact it would be offensive not to drink at a funeral.

I live in Ireland and I don't drink alcohol. At all. It's annoying to see / hear comments like this as if by not wanting to drink you either want to insult people or you don't know how to have fun. It's really ironic and beyond ridiculous that you are judged for choosing not to drink either because you find it harmful or because you don't like the taste of alcohol (which are both reasons in my case). Give me a break, I am as entitled not to drink as you are to get pissed. There is not just one way to grieve and celebrate the deceased's life. If you think so, you need to grow up.

I don't usually say break up, but eh... I think you should break up with your girlfriend, OP. She really has no respect for you at all.

horizontalline 18

There was a ton of beer at my mom's wake, but she was always a "celebrate life and have a good time" kind of lady.

I don't think she can really be blamed unless you discussed the wake beforehand. I doubt she did it to intentionally wind you up or upset you. Wakes are usually seen as two things - a celebration of the person's life or a time for less formal mourning after the funeral. Depending on what kind of background and family you come from, your views on wakes may be different. Where I'm from, wakes are usually more akin to wedding receptions. Lots of them are held in pubs or bars in my family.

omg you all are way too sensitive people drink when bad stuff happens so what...and dont u mean funeral? lol

MzZombicidal 36

No, I'm pretty sure OP meant wake. Also, just because he's from Mexico, doesn't mean he drank. He was clearly upset by his girlfriend's actions which shows that having alcohol at a wake is not something he's used to.

woah woah andddd your from mexico? lmao u knoe u drank that beer shush

mi pesame desde saltillo, y en cuanto a tu novia, se la mamó , alv con ella

Axel5238 29

Depending on where the girlfriend from and culture differences this could be a nice gesture. However, On average it isn't common. It really depends on her intent and her background.