Read the room

By haqL - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - Mexico - Queretaro

Today, my girlfriend brought a 12-pack of beer to my mother's wake. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 116
You deserved it 5 034

Comments

But seriously, someone needs to explain to her that not every gathering is a party.

Rainhawk94 27

Apparently op's girlfriend is handling her death harder than op

I come from an Irish family, where at a wake, it's not only NOT abnormal, it's expected. But judge on, Judgey McJudgersons.

Yeah, come to think of it, IT'S A WAKE. WTF do you expect?

TheDrifter 23

I too thought that a wake was more of a celebration of someone's life and a funeral was a somber remembrance.

@61 while that may be true, a wake isn't a first date sort of thing so I'm assuming his girlfriend knows the family well enough to know what is and is not okay in their situations.

I'm just really glad I'm Irish! In all seriousness, though, this may have been a kind gesture on her part (it would certainly be welcome for many wakes) so before you get upset, consider the thought behind it. Also, very sorry for your loss!

alan2kai13 3

I've been to more than one Irish wake in my day. Getting loose in memory of the times you had with those you lost. Though I tend to bring a bottle of whiskey over a 12-pack, all malt is good. But OP is from Mexico; the wake is more of a viewing than a party. It's a somber occasion. So showing up with a 12'er is really tacky. FYL indeed.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll remember that the nationality influences the nature of the occasion.

Condolences from Bill Murray always make one feel better, no?

So sorry to hear OP I cant imagine the pain you're feeling after you've lost your mum. Take care.

Maybe more presumptuous than disrespectful. I've been to a couple wakes where the booze flows freely.

cheshirecat13242 32

Sorry to hear, OP.. There are worse things she could've shown up with--such as her other boyfriend

It depends where you are from. I'm from New Zealand and to us a wake is a massive celebration of the persons life. We all sit around drinking, playing guitars and singing, and telling stories about the person. I'm pretty sure the Irish are similar too.

addioty 19

Where I come from, wakes are celebrations of life, alcohol included (even though I'm not of the legal drinking age). Maybe OP's girlfriend thought this would be a celebration instead of a viewing. Either way, sorry for your loss OP.

Coming from the southeastern U.S., wakes are just as mournful as funerals. The wake I went to had dishes to pass and people asking if I had popped out any kids yet. That being said, wakes and funerals under the Bible Belt consist mainly of comparing each other's outfits, casseroles, and social status more than remembering the person who passed.

Maybe you need a new girlfriend who can actually support you and do a better job at helping you in this great time of sorrow in your life. My condolences are with you, sorry for your loss

Yea my best friend showed up to my dads wake drunk and he passed out after making a scene

She was supporting bringing beer was her way of saying "things happen for a reason so celebrate the wonderful life she had" personally my family got wasted at my granny's wake we all talked about how awesome she was and drinking helped deal with the pain she wasn't being insensitive at all

Yeah. Everybody has a party after a wake.

I get the joke but he just lost someone. Have some ******* empathy.

Nick_Cage34 3

17 shut the **** up and chill out.

Phoebe_Buffay 14

Wtf. I'm sorry for your loss, OP. And I'm also sorry you have such an inconsiderate girlfriend.

I don't know about inconsiderate. A 12 pack is plenty enough to go around between a few people. In all seriousness though, sorry for your loss OP, and your girlfriend is rather inconsiderate.

My ex was like that. it sounds like she has an alcohol problem.

RedPillSucks 31

Idiot translator.... She has questionable moral character, certainly.

juarezj96 12

Wow disrespectful bastard. Damn. I'm sorry

jackrreaper117 6
jackrreaper117 6

You know actual response instead of down votes would really be appreciated -___-

D'aww, the poor lil' troll isn't getting enough raging replies. There there. *pats through a hazmat suit*

Careful about touching trolls, Shrike. Even with the hazmat suit, that stench will cling to you.

Eugh, last time I touched a troll - it took 17 baths, 12 showers and 4 bleach washes... It still sometimes comes back..

Nothing is wrong with it by itself. It depends on the family. Your question is legitimate depending on your perspective. My ex's family always had booze at wakes. It's considered tradition in many families. Take a look at #20's comment. At that wake it was considered a good deed. The troll comments were a little harsh given a legitimate comment/question. I don't think you were just trying to start a comment war.

19, like Doc said, that shit will stick with you like herpes.

jackrreaper117 6

Faith in humanity slowly being restored, thank you very much. It was an honest question.... I'm Mexican and besides the stereotypes there is always alcohol at any gathering, which is why I didn't think anything was disrespectful... Thanks again

You can thank the teetotalers for seeing alcohol as "disrespectful" at serious social gatherings. It's more about the irresponsible things that irresponsible people do (fight, cause scenes, say inappropriate things, etc.) when they get completely wasted at events like these.