By search_me - 16/07/2009 23:39 - United States

Today, while going through airport security the lady asked why I folded everything so small. I said that I was going away for a month and needed to fit a lot of stuff in only one bag. She smiled, nodded and then dumped my luggage to search for "drugs and other illegal teen things." FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 966
You deserved it 3 310

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bah, the profiling system gets on my nerves :P

If it was a man, you could've said, "Because I needed to make room for my tampons."

Comments

vt_mruhlin 0

If you're bringing enough stuff for a month, ******* check your bag. Nothing worse than the asshole sho tries to cram a giant suitcase in the overhead compartment.

OP-Was this your first time flying and going through security? If so, then yeah, FML. If not, then YDI. Yes, it's understandable that you want to pack in as much things as possible in one bag to make things more convienient, but (assuming you've flown before and gone through security) you know that security personal may or may not go through your things. It's always best to err on the side of caution in that regard, pack your stuff with the assumption that it'll most likely be gone through (so, in this case, don't kill yourself packing things into micro size and then get pissed because security went through it). Also, question--Assuming you're going on a vacation or something, why would you cram everything in just one suitcase, which is most then at full capacity? Yeah, it works for not having more to lug around, but then what happens on your return trip if you end up getting yourself some souvenirs and/or other momentos of your time spent on this trip? Like other people have said, folding your stuff super tiny is most likely what led to the search. Yes, it's shitty that this person pulled out the age-profiling but come on these people are supposed to screen any packages that are suspicious in anyway. I don't think the person did it soley because of your age. Had it been someone in their 40s or whatever who had thier things folded up like that, they probably would've been searched too. With your items folded up like that, it might've given someone the thought that hey maybe they are hiding something, and hey people hide illegal things. I doubt it was "hey, this is a teen, they must have illegal things, I'm going to ruin their hours of folding." To those who are saying they only search carry-on bags, I think it really depends what kind of airport you're in. I'm from New York and whenever I go through their big airports, yeah, I check my bag and that's it, I don't see them go through it. A few years ago when I was in college I was going to New Orleans with some people and to get there we had to fly out of a very small airport in State College, PA to Philidelphia and from there fly to N.O. Anyway, when we checked our luggage in State College, the guy manning the station opened our bags for a quick glance before putting them through. He didn't dump everything out (so, okay OP, the woman doing your search ****** up there and was bitchy in that regard). He just did a quick superficial search, checked the sides, maybe glance under the first layer of folded up things (i.e. tilted up a shirt, looked, and then put it back down still in it's folded condition) closed up the bag and passed it on through. I think it was also to make sure we weren't carrying anything that might've been hazardous to the little plane we'd be boarding which was more like a little commuter plane . Not sure what that could've been, but whatever.

ihatestupidppl 0

Sounds like a fellow Penn Stater (as well as New Yorker) =)

I am a fellow New Yorker, but actually I went to Lock Haven University :)

katieface 0
ihatestupidppl 0

Oh cool, I have friends at Lock Haven too :)

Try going through airport security with SCUBA regulators...you don't want to check them (after all, if they get broken, you could die underwater), but all the weird metal parts attached to hoses and tubes? Those get suspicious looks from the TSA. And then they swab them to check if they're packed with drugs or explosives.

"other illegal teen things" seriously. don't quote unless your going to say what they actually said. if that's what the person that searched your bag really said and you let them, I'm gonna have to say YDI

rayrayy_fml 0

...I'm pretty sure that's what the ENTIRE point of the FML was. I'm sure the OP expected there was some chance of being searched, but she was shocked at WHY she was searched. The woman asked her why she had packed the way she did and upon giving her an explanation, she smiled and dumped it in front of her, with the reason she was searching for "drugs and other illegal teen things." Her reason for profiling was assuming she had something illegal because of her age. That's the FML. If she didn't put that in there, who cares? She got searched. Big whoop. Adding her quote explains why it's an FML. Also, you can't say "No" when being asked to search. They'll either have security escort you out of the airport or simply will not allow you to board the plane. So how does she deserve it if the quote is real? Shut up.

I_Am_The_Edge 4

I hate the TSA. So much. They did this to me once, and I spent the next twenty minutes repacking.

How do you know she wasn't looking for "drugs and other illegal TERRORIST things?" hahahaha.. terrorist jk, you're not a terrorist, are you?

wingedtoad 0

That sucks. Once, TSA searched my baggage after I had checked it in and stole $400 from me. I now carry all cash on my person.

this happened once. they thought my camera was a bomb. i actually missed my flight because they had to scan it like 15 times before they let me go hrough