By search_me - 16/07/2009 23:39 - United States

Today, while going through airport security the lady asked why I folded everything so small. I said that I was going away for a month and needed to fit a lot of stuff in only one bag. She smiled, nodded and then dumped my luggage to search for "drugs and other illegal teen things." FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 966
You deserved it 3 310

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bah, the profiling system gets on my nerves :P

If it was a man, you could've said, "Because I needed to make room for my tampons."

Comments

Kttttt 0

When I was younger I would ALWAYS get my stuff checked becuase I would have something that looked suspicious... Apperently I looked like an evil little girl... But now that I am a teenager, I never get searched anymore, Even when I went on a transcontinentel flight with 12 other teenagers... Although, On the way back, the 'security' search didn't even notice the 2 big bottles of hot sauce another one of us brought on carry on.

This kinda bullshit is what makes me wanna waste the extra 24 hours by using the train, especially since I take a LOT of stuff back with me of various sizes and shapes in my suitcases that probably look funky under the Airport X-ray machine. I'm still moving my crap out of my parents house, so I gotta take as much with me as possible. I can just see all the broken appliances, and collectible figures on the airport floor now....

Yes, packing small so that you don't need to drag a lot of luggage around while travelling is definitively suspicious. And being a teen on top of that! Obviously no teens think like that and need to be searched. That lady was down-right rude.

Haha you must look like a druggy!!

Illegal teen things? This person sounds like somebody who would scold you if you had something like condoms.

ydi! folding your stuff extra small does not save space, itss the same if you roll them up as if you lay them flat, however, when they are rolled up, it looks like you're hiding something in them. It's not profiling, it's suspecious behavior!

ihatestupidppl 0

Finally! Thank goodness *someone* gets it.

dude your pretty stupid, ever tried packing on your own before?

dg72592_fml 0

For the state tests where i live we had to read an article about packing [among the other fascinating and intellectually stimulating topics we were exposed to], and it specifically told you that the most efficient way to pack was to roll up your things. Nice one, state of Pennsylvania.

Airport security officers are control freaks and power-trippers. Enough said.

lOnelyyheartt 0

I seriously hate airport security. I went through the metal detector and it didn't beep and no lights went off but the **** bucket of a security lady patted me down anyway. **** AIRPORT SECURITY . xP

UrStoopid 0

Being a former TSA officer I can tell you that ALL your checked in luggage gets screened too! *gasp* Surprise surprise! I bet you all thought that your carry on was the only one screened. Nope! Checked in luggage gets checked too. At most big airports, it's done behind the scenes but there are SOME airports (like the one I used to work at) that do it right in front of you. 100% of ALL bags get screened one way or another, some get fully dumped & others just get an outside swipe. There is also the probability of the OP being a selectee passenger & this is when the AIRLINE'S computer randomly picks a passenger for additional screening. When this happens, EVERYTHING you have with you gets checked. Your checked bags get dumped, at the checkpoint, you get handwanded & your bags get searched. So NO it's not about security officers being "control freaks & power-trippers," doing what they did is what we are told to do. Oh & you would be SURPRISED as to what one would find in the most innocent looking persons luggage. I'd found things in a childs bag that were put there by their parent because the parent thought "Oh, they won't check the kid's luggage as well as they'd check mine." Yeah...think about that now. And to the poster who said this -i think the OP should've been like "Well thanks for a great job miss and I'd tell you to have a good future but working long hours for cheap wages as a bag checker is all you could achieve huh?"- Unless you make more than $15+ an hour on TOP of having half of your medical insurance paid for...then talk all the shit you want. Also, the only time screeners work "long hours" is when there's a delay at the end of the night. Yes, the "rules" suck but it's not the screening persons fault that they check you. Oh yeah, just because the officer undid what probably took you HOURS to do, doesn't mean that they can't put it all back in...sometimes they get it back in EVEN BETTER than you did it the 1st time! AND in less time! I know I'm an excellent packer now after having worked as a TSA officer. Oh I forgot about this...once you turn your luggage over to the TSA officer, you're willingly consenting to having your luggage checked so it is NOT an illegal search!

dude, calm down! don't take that comments too serious... but thanks for adding some real informations to the discussion.

You're full of yourself. The only thing worse than a pig trying to tell people how thing are is a wannabe pig trying to tell people how things are. I've been "randomly screened" at 4 airports, out of the whole 4 flights i've ever been on. it seems a bit suspicious that in 1 out of every 1 flight a 20 year old male with slightly longer hair then normal has been on, he has also gotten "randomly screened". Most TSA "officers" are rude. I've had to repack every bag I've ever had unpacked by them, despite nothing being found. I understand you want to protect the rep of your fellow airport swine, but don't lie to do it.

I agree with #44 and 45. Everyone has a job to do and it must be done...we all respect that, but at the same time she didnt have to be a douchebag, smile and just flip it over. Your correct the rules do suck but damn thats no reason to be an ass about it. I have had my bag checked before and the person was polite about it.

enuff_crying 0

just about every time that i fly with my family, at least one if not all of us get randomly checked, and the reason is probably because we all have common first and an really common last name. But every time that I've been searched, the security guard has been polite and i realized that they are doing their jobs

wow, $15/hr PLUS 50% of health insurance? Man, those TSA (Thousands Standing Around) dweebs got it made! I bet they can retire off that by the time they turn 79! What a great ad for getting an education. Thanks for that!

Even though we're technically consenting to the search, the TSA is still a government agency and must abide by the Constitution. The 4th Amendment: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Secure in our effects, no search without probable cause.

UrStoopid 0

lottofee...I was calm when I wrote that LoL! I was just passing additional information that people might not be aware of on. Stativus...exactly how am I full of it? Better yet...how can I be LYING about something I know 1st hand about? Just because you've been screened everytime you've flown might not be something that TSA is doing. If you happen to fly again check to see if there's any random markings such as a 'ssss' on your boarding pass. If the airline's computer chooses you as a selectee for random screening, it's possible that it will continue to do so no matter how much time passes between your flights. Sure most officers are rude but if you think about it, so are most passengers because they, like you, tend to think that they're above being screened. I know that there were times when I was a bitch to passengers because they had a rotten attitude towards me for NO reason. Sure there had been some passengers like you who just HAD to repack everything that was unpacked because the just want to be assholes & make a scene but then again this was at the security checkpoint, which I'm guessing is where you repacked your bag. I, for one, would ask the passenger if they wanted me to repack their bag or if they wanted to re-do it. anta - and from what the OP said you got that the officer just flipped the bag over? If everything was packed as small & tight as the OP said it was, I doubt anything would have fallen out. It would have had to had been taken out. aja - yeah I worked with several people who had degrees or had graduated from college while working for TSA & they couldn't find a job that had the same or BETTER benefits than what they had with TSA. There's also the possibility of transferring to a different job. I knew several others who transferred out of TSA to work on the local Base for higher pay. ndawgg- it also says "unreasonable" searches....without probable cause. If you wish to use the 4th amendment then you may as well not fly. I'd suggest finding another form of transportation because you won't be getting on a plane if you REFUSE to have your bag searched. This may also lead you to being further detained by airport police for suspicious behavior. You won't have to worry about TSA going through your bag but then it would be the airport police going through your stuff...oh & THEY can also arrest you for any little thing. So it's easier & faster to just let the TSA officer search your stuff without bitching & moaning about it. It's really a time saver.

kaleid0scopeEyes 0

You pretentious teenagers are hilarious. Does it feel nice to insult anyone who actually has to get a job, since their mommy and daddy doesn't pay for everything like yours does? You kids are the type that wont last a year in college because you have no clue what the real world is like.

ya i'm a teen and i gotta agree with the TSA guy, he doesn't come across as arrogant and anything and sure theres assholes in that business, but the couple of times i've gotten stopped and searched (once with apparently illegal starfish and coral (even though they were dead....)) the people by and large were pretty friendly

CousinSkeeter 0

My friend travels alot and he is Arab. He wears this white sock on his head that has some of his hair in it, and he has a middle-eastern hairstyle. He gets his luggage checked and additional screening 9 out of 10 times. I don't think that's fair.

kendalle_fml 0

My boyfriend is arabic as well and gets checked for hours each time he goes out of the country.

@83 Almost as funny as you pretentious old people.

1. I find it really, really hard to have any respect for somebody whose username is "UrStoopid." 2. I think everybody knows that checked baggage is checked. But thanks for clearing that bit up. 3. Do your motherfucking job and shut up about how hard it is. Other people have jobs that routinely put them in the face of death every single day, and they don't bitch about it half as much as you do. Plus, they don't get to please their age and racial profiling desires as much as you do.

Kttttt 0

$15+? Really? Is that soposed to be alot? Im 15 and make $15 an hour! And medical benifits... both my parents jobs pay completly, not half, and they both get payed $65+ and hour, $90 if its overtime. I dont know how someone could live of $15 an hour.

jnic 0

#152, you sound kind of spoiled. Consider yourself lucky and stop thinking it would be so terrible if you were making less. Most teens are making only $8-10/hour. Your parents are making an exceptional amount of money. You're only 15, you're going to get a huge reality check when you graduate from college and get a $40,000 a year entry level job, if your money habits lead you to believe that $15 an hour can't support you and $120,000 a year salary like your parents' is the norm. $15 an hour full-time works out to $2,400 a month. An apartment in the city is $600 a month including utilities with a roommate, groceries are $200 a month, and that gives you $1,600 a month for miscellaneous bills and other neat expenses. Try doing that as a college student with only 20 hours a week... I know plenty who do it, while paying out of their pocket for school.

weewoo12 0

that was one of the stupidest things ive ever seen anyone say.... "My parents make 65 dollars an hour." #152, what do your parents exactly do, full time, 65 dollars an hour would pay to be over 150,000 dollars more than the president makes.....im pretty sure youre mistaken about exactly how much they make.... grow up and dont lie about what they make to make yourself sound cool...

Flying is not a right but a privilege. Sort of like how you need a license to drive a car.

klassi1 0

Way to go! I'm sick of hearing so much whining!! Sad as it would be, one day is all it would take-there should be no searches of baggage, and maybe something bad enough would happen to wake people up.

klassi1 0

weewoo12 #155...YOU ARE AN IDIOT. Enough said.

PinkityPink 0

what ever happened to the x ray machine thing?? can't they tell if you have a bomb or something from just that?

klassi1 0

X-Ray machines are not very successful-they are just a precaution. Nothing beats old fashion handwork.