By search_me - 16/07/2009 23:39 - United States

Today, while going through airport security the lady asked why I folded everything so small. I said that I was going away for a month and needed to fit a lot of stuff in only one bag. She smiled, nodded and then dumped my luggage to search for "drugs and other illegal teen things." FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 966
You deserved it 3 310

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bah, the profiling system gets on my nerves :P

If it was a man, you could've said, "Because I needed to make room for my tampons."

Comments

Airport security is really tough nowadays. It's a little extreme.

**** airport security. It's gotten way too ridiculous.

how is this a FML? you got searched at an airport, big ******* deal.

Because she took all that time to pack it and then just to have it fail by airport security

Yes, but if the OP really had it packed as tightly as she said she did, the TSA agent is going to have to refold everything to make it fit again. ;)

Yes. Unless US rules are different than here, if airport security searches your bags and don't find anything, they have to pack it up as neat as it looked originally.

Don't know if we have that rule, but when my carry on bags are searched they leave me with the pile to deal with.

wow, that really sucks. I would be so pissed. airport security sucks. also, it's stupid how people assume that all teens do drugs. I'm 16 and I do not do drugs, I think they're stupid. but I know plenty of adults who do drugs. they shouldn't single you out and dump out all your shit just because you're a teenager. but #2 is awesome. I totally agree.

Meee too. I'm sixteen and I refuse to do drugs because most of my school does them. I find it annoying when I hear people referencing it on a near constant basis. -_-*

oh stupid airport security... but i guess it works, right?

I'd rather have my hard work spilled accross a table than have someone with a bomb make it on

but they didn't search her because they saw something they thought was a bomb on the xray machine. they searched her because she's a teen an they automatically assumed she had drugs/"other illegal teen stuff". wtf does that even mean?

Kttttt 0

Teenagers, everything they do is illegal! Id expect they would find some weed, probably some alcohol. Maybe some coke of thizz if the teen is stupid enough to bring that on carry on.

Not every teen is engaging in illegal activities. Get your shit straight and stop being so presumptuous

Oh come on, even with airport security, it's easy to get "illegal" "dangerous" shit up on a plane. I did it very often since as a teen i traveled at least twice a year (mexico-france, but sometimes with a scale in germany, holland, spain). I got on a plane with a thym plant alive, a lot of marmelade, my roller blades, two PS1, about 150 or so cds.. on my carry-on. And that was post 9/11 ^^ Yes i had with me some real metal and plastic stuff that could kill someone (although a scarf CAN kill someone). Airport security is bullshit. Because i'm kind of a goth teenager, i do get searched, specially in the us (and they touch me and stuff) because i had in my pocket a deodorant. But airport security it's about minor security (about not getting a hairspray on the checked it, because of air pression and other stuff, for instance). And anti "biological" shit (animals and plants non declared that could affect the environment of where you're going). And, oh, yes, MONEY. airport security is there to protect TAXES and you carrying stuff you are not supposed to carry without paying taxes and shit ! But a bomb, i mean come on, the chances of meeting a real terrorist ready to blow up a plane (with himself inside) is way lower than wining the national lottery. And THAT is a very low statistic. Besides if you want to blow up a plane (with a bomb), i bet terrorists wouldn't use passengers (but bribe the luggage guy to put inside the plane another luggage or so)

insert_name 0

yeah, definitely. they put these security measures in for a reason...

elfuzzo 0

Seriously? There's ONE terrorist attack, and suddenly everyone flips the **** out. It's over-reactive, stupid, and it lets the terrorists win.

ihatestupidppl 0

You...HAVE to be sarcastic here. There's no way this is an honest ******* comment. "Seriously? There's ONE terrorist attack, and suddenly everyone flips the **** out." Yeah cuz you know, ONLY 3000+ people died. ONLY 2 major buildings came crashing down. The Pentagon was ONLY almost hit. The city of New York was ONLY devastated for a couple of years. Lets just all chill the **** out. I mean really, why even check bags at all?????? The whole point of checking baggage is to PREVENT another terrorist attack. So maybe, since there's ONLY been 1, they airports are doing their ******* job. I bet you're one of the people who bitches about having to take their shoes off. Maybe we should just let another psycho shoe bomber like Richard Reid on the plane too! Wouldn't want to inconvenience a few for the safety of many now would we?!

Actually Osama Bin Laden attacked the World Trade Centers a few years earlier, but not enough people died so measures weren't tightened up. Once 9/11 happened it became a national tragedy and security was amped up to prevent another attack. People were outraged saying that if we had only upped security for the first attack 9/11 might not have happened. So I think freaking out over security is alright, and honestly it's not as bad as people think, I hardly ever get hung up in security and a lot of it has to do with knowing the rules and complying quickly. But that being said she was a bitch but you'll just have to get over it

There have been way more than one terrorist attack.

I'm not going to get into this, but airport security is ineffective in preventing a terrorist attack. There are plenty of ways to carry out an attack, and if a terrorist group really wanted to do something, they'd find a way, them being the tricky ******* bastards they are.

Don't forget the terrorist attacks in other countries as well.

#95 I'm sure the people who died on 9/11 wouldn't agree with that. Also there have been more attempts to hijack planes but they have failed because of airport security.

I agree with the security rules for air travel but 9/11 isn't as big of a tragedy as people make it out to be. Compared to other attacks in the history of the world, 9/11 is a joke, number-wise anyway. The big deal about that attack is that it was the first terrorist attack that DIRECTLY influenced the US. Before 9/11, there were no major attacks inside of the US. That's why people freak out so bad.

The ignorance of your comment hurts my eyes.

i think the OP should've been like "Well thanks for a great job miss and I'd tell you to have a good future but working long hours for cheap wages as a bag checker is all you could achieve huh?"

I'm a little confused- Why didn't you check your suitcase? You only go through airport security after you've already checked your bags, so only your carry-on bag would get searched... That sucks though, I've never had my stuff literally dumped out. And sometimes when I reach my destination I'll open my suitcase and find a note saying they randomly searched it but all the stuff is still in there, folded.

bexox 0

They charge now to check bags. She might have checked another one, but brought that as a carry-on to reduce costs.

Most airlines now charge for any checked luggage, and it can cost like $50... When my fiance and I fly, we have a carry-on size suitcase and a laptop bag that we pack everything in because you don't have to pay extra for that. So if the OP was traveling like that, all of her clothes and such would have been in the carry-on bag that the lady opened up and dumped. OP-that really sucks. Normally if they're going to go through your carry-on it's after it's been x-rayed and then they also take you off to the side to go through it, but unless you were marked for a random bag check or they saw something suspicious in the x-ray, there should have been no reason to dump your stuff out...

When flying from Ecuador to the US we had to run down to where they had our checked luggage because they wanted to search it randomly.