By Screw My Parents - 22/12/2015 04:45 - United States - Barrington

Today, my parents confirmed we were going to be taking a Disney World trip for Christmas vacation. I already knew that we were taking a trip, but I was now missing a week of school. Being in 3 honors and an A.P. class, I said that I didn't want to go. I got called an "ungrateful, little prick". FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 295
You deserved it 8 578

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Coming from an honors and AP student since I was in middle school, go on the trip. You can make up the work, you can't make up the memories. It's worth it, trust me!

Kuibe 18

You sure have a lot more willpower than me to refuse a Disney world trip. I'm at Disney world right now for my make a wish and it's amazing I hope your able to go on the trip and keep up with your classes if possible!

Comments

I don't know why people always have work to do. I never have any homework or study at all, I do great in school, and everyone is always stressing out about it all. confusing if you ask me

Grades will only take you so far in life. Memories will take you all the way through life. Think about that. I think you can sacrifice a week of your life for the lifetime of sacrifices your parents made for you. I'm sorry but I agree you're being selfish.

toomanyidiots 14

??? What kind of high schools did everyone saying "Yes! Go" attend? I had a perfect attendance record until missed 3 days of school because my dad and I flew back overseas for my grandmother's funeral. I was never allowed to make up that work, despite having documentation (obituary, ticket records, etc.), AND some of my teachers treated me like shit for it...

The question is what kind of School do you go to?

toomanyidiots 14

* school I went to; I'm 25 and in dental school now. Maybe things were different 10 years ago; I don't know. At the time I didn't know of any school that was so forgiving.

I missed 80 or so days, all honors and still passed. some schools are different. but seriously, school isn't worth it compared to the memories you will make with your parents that will die one day. point is, you don't know when that will be. take the trip op. or you'll regret it more. I regret missing school, but not as much as I regret not taking a picture the night before he died. I thought about it, but decided not to, even though I took all sorts of pictures that day, I didn't take one of him.

Go. I was an all-honors/AP student and trust me, missing one week of that stuff in high school will mean absolutely nothing for your future. I know they try to give you the mentality that all your high school grades are life or death, but they're not. If you're concerned just get the work before you leave and do some in the evenings.

It's really sad that the school system these days doesn't allow students to feel like they can go and spend time with family. It's ridiculous how fast they make everyone grow up. My advice is to try to make time to go. As others have said, they may be able to give you homework ahead of time or you can make it up. I know missing a week in high school feels like missing a month, but in my opinion it's worth it.

When I was in high school, I always told my parents no to vacations because of school. Now as an adult, I regret those moments. Missing 1 week of school won't impact you negatively. You might have to work a little bit harder for that month to catch up but in a few years, you will be thankful that you did not sacrifice meaningful memories for school work. Basically, you won't look back regretting that you missed that school week.

You are being a prick if you tried to turn down any kind of vacation because of school. You should consider yourself lucky you weren't called worse

How do people seriously think that missing a whole week is nothing? If there in any sort of specialty class, like a computer class or something, they can't make that stuff up. Or any class where being in class is just as important as doing the work. And people generally have some sort of winter break, so why aren't they using that instead of making them miss school too. People hate it when people take a bunch of extra time after a vacation just to have more vacation. It's not being ungrateful or selfish. It's not wanting to be the moron who misses school for no good reason. Family is important, but education benefits you more in the long run. It's not like this trip is going to be some magical experience that will change their life forever, like people are acting like.

It's not like you couldn't ask for your assignments in advance and complete them during down time in your hotel room. You are being rude, as they've likely spent a lot of money on your part of the trip. Plus, if you're a minor, you really have no choice anyway. Just go and enjoy the trip.

I do not understand that you even can take that week off school. In my old school you always needed a docters note if you took any time off and leaving a week early or later for vacation got you detention and automatic zeros if you didnt have that docters note. What schools did all these people go to? Easy to make up? What? 8/10 + 8/10 + 8/10 + 0/10 is a 6/10 average and good that school was super easy for you. Maybe this kid has the brains of a 6/10 student but is working his ass off. Stop projecting.

I'm wondering the same thing. When I was in high school, over 15 unexcused absences meant you failed the year and, no, a vacation was not an excuse. Where are these schools where attendance means nothing?