You'll understand when you're older

By Anonymous - 25/11/2021 11:01 - United States - Livonia

Today, my mom told me the night before our school trip that I’m not going so she could get a refund. Now I have to stay alone with my mom for a week, while my friends are having the time of their life in NYC. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 181
You deserved it 117

Same thing different taste

Top comments

@Brightside86 - As always, you have completely missed the point. Stop invalidating OP's feelings, she's allowed to be upset.

At least she'll be able to afford her oxy for the week, and isn't that what it's all about?

Comments

At least she'll be able to afford her oxy for the week, and isn't that what it's all about?

I think you're framing this poorly. Instead of feeling slighted consider feeling greatful that you can help your family by making this sacrifice. Giving this up and doing it graciously is a good opportunity to build character and strengthen your bond with family.

@Brightside86 - As always, you have completely missed the point. Stop invalidating OP's feelings, she's allowed to be upset.

rotflqtms_ 21

To be fair, OP didn't pay for the school trip. If the family needed the money to make ends meet, then a school trip is not worth it in the grand scheme of things. If it was the difference between making rent/paying for food or OP going on a school trip, I would have chosen rent. What is OP going to do when they get home from the school trip to find their home isn't their home anymore because they couldn't afford rent? Or if their family starved to death because they couldn't afford... I mean, things happen. She didn't cause the crash. She wasn't even driving, but she is still out a car. Do you think she'd still pay for a school trip if she can use the money to get to work or even help her do a downpayment on a car to get to and from work? If the mom took the money back, they must have had a good reason (unless they are a terrible parent or they're druggies) We didn't hear the mom's side of things. We don't know why they had to cancel the trip. Next time there's a trip, OP should save up to pay for it themselves. I sold candy when I was at school. OP can get an after school job. If you want something, the best way to get it is to get it yourself. it sucks that your trip got cancelled, but chin up, you'll survive.

Sure, if OP would prefer to be upset for a bit, that's an option. Just saying the choice is theirs. Allowed to be upset, that's an interesting idea. You've got a point, there's certainly a line where you just have to let things breath and having your emotions validated can be therapeutic. Thanks for putting your insight so plainly. I've definitely had/seen comments that got downvoted into oblivion and been perplexed because they were undeniable/insightful/respectful. However they often don't support just venting and validation and I suspect that giving people a place to do that is the primary function of this community.

phybreawptic 13

On the bright side, you didn't have to show ID to eat at a restaurant.