By oregongrl1991 - 29/01/2010 03:32 - France

Today, my fiancé told me he didn't have the money to make payments on my engagement ring and that I either have to return it, or make the payments myself. Now we aren't engaged any more, and are "dating." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 920
You deserved it 4 447

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks, but I have to admit that his approach was a smart way to get out of an engagement without ending the relationship.

ANSNIMS 4

My husband didn't get me a ring. I have my Great Grandmothers diamond, and my mom bought my wedding band as my wedding gift. Difference is, my husband was just poor... not a jerk who dangles something like that in front of you and then yanks it away. Dump his ass.

Comments

you could just trade in for cheaper ring and upgrade it later when you guys can afford it. it is only symbolic so it doesnt have to be super expensive

that ******* sucks,I hope you didn't like the ring too much, FYL

pretty much he did not want to be engaged. and for him to get a loan he must have passed a credit check. he has the money. he just thought strippers were a better investment.

With all due respect, he should of known if he could afford it or not from the the start. even worst, he should of asked you to help him pay not put the dang bill all on you. I have to say he's a pig.

If you really love the guy, it shouldn't matter if you get a nice ring or not. YDI because you're so materialistic.

Walk away before you end up the queen of the trailer park.

A marriage shouldn't be based on a little piece of metal. If it is, then perhaps it's time to re-evaluate your priorities.

privera92 0

Dump his ass. he's a douche 4 buying you a ring w/o being able to even afford it. I'm just saying that if this is with the ring, I can only imagine how's it's going to go down with the house payments, car, and all the other expenses.

__no_one__ 0

This. I'd never expect an expensive engagement ring from my SO. So if he didn't spend a lot of money but instead got me a not-so-expensive simple one... fine. I would, however, not be amused if he did buy an expensive ring as a gift for me and a symbol for our upcoming marriage, couldn't afford it after all and made me pay for it. That's just... irresponsible. I want to marry a guy who knows what he can and can't afford and spends accordingly. Besides, buying a gift you can't afford, then making the gifted person either pay for it or return it is just incredibly rude.

Yeah, I agree with no_one. Unless the OP had been insistent on an expensive ring, in which case she'd kinda deserve it.

=P I was just thinking they had an unfortunate name. It would work better if they made inflammatory posts.

Mooshki 0

Exactly! Go buy a cubic zirconia at Target.

Agreed! My fiancé and I bought my ring together. Well under $1000 (had to have 14k white gold cuz of metal allergies!) and I paid for most of it. I figured since I picked it out mostly without his help, I wasn't going to ask him to foot the bill. But wow, I'd be pretty pissed if I were the OP.