By oregongrl1991 - 29/01/2010 03:32 - France

Today, my fiancé told me he didn't have the money to make payments on my engagement ring and that I either have to return it, or make the payments myself. Now we aren't engaged any more, and are "dating." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 920
You deserved it 4 447

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks, but I have to admit that his approach was a smart way to get out of an engagement without ending the relationship.

ANSNIMS 4

My husband didn't get me a ring. I have my Great Grandmothers diamond, and my mom bought my wedding band as my wedding gift. Difference is, my husband was just poor... not a jerk who dangles something like that in front of you and then yanks it away. Dump his ass.

Comments

it's hard times, I guess, you "love" really doesn't support a family...

That's right. Can't live on love. Both people need to be responsible and not make purchases they can't handle. Certainly, they should not give gifts that they haven't even paid off. Technically, it's still the store's ring and he went ahead and gave it as a gift. lol

davek 36

CashMyGold.com and keep the money. Screw him.

Haha, compensation for her time investment. Another way of looking at this is: that ring is theoretically his till they are married. In this case, it's a promise, not a gift and he can do whatever likes with it until they are married. I doubt he will hand it back so she can cash it out. Would be cool if she could get cash for it though. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but usually you have to make all of the payments BEFORE the jewelry store will give you the ring (because once you have it they can't force you to bring it back, and it loses value as soon as you walk out the door with it). So if he couldn't make "payments" on it, why did he propose to you to begin with? I, personally, have a boyfriend that I know I am going to be marrying but I told him I wanted him to wait until we have a ring(to propose). But then, most people my age just get pregnant and not married so perhaps I just want to be traditional. Either way, you must really love your boyfriend to go back to "dating" after being engaged. Congratulations! I hope everything works out for you!

I don't know if it's different for engagement rings, but you can make payments on jewelry. My boyfriend gave me a necklace last valentine's day that he bought on a payment plan, so he was making payments until May.

boatkicker 4

A ring is not a car. It doesn't lose any significant value by being taken out of the store. Unless the ring is damaged in some way or engraved, they can clean it and no one will be able to tell the difference. They can, and will, resell it for the same price. Usually you can make payments on any jewelry above a certain price. Of course the specific price varies by jeweler. Also, chill out on the stereotypes. Not everyone our age gets pregnant and before getting married, or without getting married. Being engaged doesn't make you in any way superior to those who do, and the way your wrote your comment made it sound like you think yourself better than that. It's all the same. Live and let live.

boatkicker 4

Why didn't you return it and get a cheaper ring? He obviously had to make some kind of down payment on it, for you to get the ring, why didn't you use that towards a ring that didn't cost a fortune? My engagement ring was probably somewhere between 3- and 400, and while that's not exactly pocket change, that's still not too expensive for an engagement ring. Or, why can't you still be engaged without a ring? I was engaged for months without a ring, and not having a ring didn't bother me at all.

if he cant pay for an engagement ring THRU PAYMENTS. how is he going to pay rent/mortage, car payments, food, other bills, God forbid if they have children...people shouldnt get married till they cant stand on theyre own 2 feet. money issues is the top reason for divorce. you can love somebody, but living on the streets isnt fun. && majority of these people talking shit are a bunch of liars. smh.

Sounds like he's trying to break the engagement without having to face your anger and hurt at him doing so. I think you would be better off without this guy.

Just because there's no ring doesn't mean you aren't engaged. My fiancé gave me a bracelet for our engagement instead, because he couldn't afford one at the time. (He'll be getting an actual ring later when he has the money.) But seriously, FYL for having a fiscally irresponsible fiancé.

Why don't you guys pick up a ring at Wal.imart or costco? Its cheap and pretty.

You could sue him for breach of contract if you wanted to. A promise to marry is a contract, so why not? You'd probably get to keep your precious ring. (even sue for pain and suffering)