By oregongrl1991 - 29/01/2010 03:32 - France

Today, my fiancé told me he didn't have the money to make payments on my engagement ring and that I either have to return it, or make the payments myself. Now we aren't engaged any more, and are "dating." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 920
You deserved it 4 447

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks, but I have to admit that his approach was a smart way to get out of an engagement without ending the relationship.

ANSNIMS 4

My husband didn't get me a ring. I have my Great Grandmothers diamond, and my mom bought my wedding band as my wedding gift. Difference is, my husband was just poor... not a jerk who dangles something like that in front of you and then yanks it away. Dump his ass.

Comments

clairdnj 0

Engagement has nothing to do with a rock on your finger. And if you ended it because he couldn't afford payments, you're a bitch and he's better off.

goof4 0

So basically your saying your a bitch

YDI for being materialistic. You can get married without a ring.

er...isn't this off that 70's show? It sounds eerily close..

EveryDayJackAss 0

and you didn't talk this over before cause.......?

So..why exactly aren't you engaged any more? Just because you no longer have the ring? Or is it because he pushed the financial responsibility for the ring he (presumably) started paying for onto you? If it's the former...it's very good that you're not engaged. Calling it off simply because the ring might have needed to go is childish and immature. A ring is not necessary for a couple to be engaged. Yes, it's a nice gesture, but it is not necessary. I don't really care if my boyfriend gives me a ring when he proposes; the proposal itself will be enough. I'll find a ring I already own to wear on my finger, if he cannot afford one. I'd love it if he got me a ring, I'd absolutely love it, but we're both poor and understand that food and rent comes before jewelry. If it's the latter...I'd say just leave him completely. A man who shoves off his financial responsibility onto his woman because he doesn't know how to budget is no sort of man at all. It's fine to plan BEFORE getting the ring that you two will have joint responsibility for the costs...but him dumping it on you like that is just irresponsible and rude. He needs to learn to not live beyond his means, and to at least ATTEMPT to plan for changes in income.

You're a dumbass for thinking you need a ring to be engaged. Way to be another materialistic **** in this society who needs something flashy to validate herself and her relationship. FAIL

Wow you are a bit materialistic. You don't need an engagement ring to be engaged BTW. Many couples do not have that. If you love him, a ring won't matter and you'll tell him that. Save up for a HOUSE, a CAR, something worthwhile instead of a ring on a finger. And you can get a decently priced wedding bands you just have to know where to look.

taylorxjeanne 0

My fiance got my engagement ring and wedding band for 700. It was about 1,000 then on sale then 15% off luxury items then he talked them down. It is all about finding the sale, they are out there. Or try a cubic zirconium! They look the same, but cost less. You would never know the difference. Besides, as long as your in love what else matters really.