By oregongrl1991 - 29/01/2010 03:32 - France

Today, my fiancé told me he didn't have the money to make payments on my engagement ring and that I either have to return it, or make the payments myself. Now we aren't engaged any more, and are "dating." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 920
You deserved it 4 446

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks, but I have to admit that his approach was a smart way to get out of an engagement without ending the relationship.

ANSNIMS 4

My husband didn't get me a ring. I have my Great Grandmothers diamond, and my mom bought my wedding band as my wedding gift. Difference is, my husband was just poor... not a jerk who dangles something like that in front of you and then yanks it away. Dump his ass.

Comments

vansbabe66 0

what a way to get out of a relationship. dump that douche

she never said who broke it off, and it is possible with her attitude that he did

TommyMagic 0

Woowww, aren't you shallow. So what if he couldn't afford the ring, you don't need a ring to become engaged, hell my parents have been married for over 20 years and they still don't have a wedding ring! What is a financial bump came in the way, such as h could've lost his job?

no one is being materialistic, we're not talking about a random gift, we're talking about an engagement ring. that's a part of life and marriage. it could've been a 500 dollar ring for all we know and the guy obviously isnt very smart...

Isn't the ring just symbolic? I didn't think it was legal or any kind of requirement to have one in order to be engaged. FYL for the OP but damn... get a plastic ring at chuck e cheese until he can afford a real one. No reason to call off an engagement. YDI for dating someone that can't handle a budget, though.

Cartain 0

Yes, a ring is symbolic. Of women's obsession with money.

It is symbolic. It represents your future husband's ability to financially support your future family, because he can afford to use his money on such an expensive yet useless item. With this in mind, I find this FML very amusing.

jaywisker 0

im new to FML... what does OP mean?

"Original Poster" - the person who submitted the FML entry.

birds_fml 7

@29.... why is it always the husband's responsibility to support the family? That's extremely sexist. The woman needs to work too. If both people are working, and one person loses their job, then they won't be financially destroyed. It's not fair to the man to have the weight of his family's well-being on his shoulders alone. It's not fair to the woman to expect her to be happy doing nothing more stimulating than washing the dishes. To me, it's symbolic of paying a large sum up front for the woman to have sex with him and only him for the rest of their lives.

There's a few 'symbolism' things I've heard. 1: circular, diamond: together forever, blah blah blah. 2: ringfinger: the ring is on the finger that has the strongest vein to the heart. heart...love... whatevers. 3: Married men live longer then single men. Single women live much longer then married women... giving a woman a wedding ring symbolizes the years of life the man is going to take from the woman. I gotta say I like the "obsessession with money" one. hahaha ;)

FMLable 0

How does this change your relationship status? I know a lot of couples who couldn't afford engagement rings, but that didn't stop the marriage. If something so insignificant can interrupt what should be consider a sacred union, you're probably best off not getting married anyways. In the long run, it's about how happy you are together, and you're not going to care that you "only" got wedding ring

viper63 0

you are correct I think the OP is dumb come on a ring she might lose the damn thing anyways

FMLable 0

*considered ...and there should be a period at the end. LOL it's past my mental bedtime x]

get a job? probably has a couple for all we know. it's not how much he spends, at least he made a committment. so many losers theses days want to 'live' together for 9 years get engaged for 3 then get married, joke. Not everyone makes as much money as me either, lol

Uh, newsflash: you CAN still be engaged even without a ring. *rolls eyes* Unless you're really that materialistic, in which case you don't deserve happiness anyway.

IndigoKitty 3

why the **** do people watse so much money on a piece of jewelery? i'd be happy with an onion ring! its the gesture and meaning thats important, not how big and expensive the ring is.

Lol, an onion ring. That was awesome, I like you.

well I wouldn't marry a guy who doesn't have his financials in good standing. he won't even be able to support your children if you want any. but if you really truly LOVE the guy then just wear a cheap or fake ring until he can buy you a decent ring.

Fabby_fml 2

I think the fact that your boyfriend felt like he HAD to buy you a ring he apparently couldn't afford says something about you, OP. Oh yeah, and the fact that ring apparently = engagement.