By oregongrl1991 - 29/01/2010 03:32 - France

Today, my fiancé told me he didn't have the money to make payments on my engagement ring and that I either have to return it, or make the payments myself. Now we aren't engaged any more, and are "dating." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 920
You deserved it 4 447

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks, but I have to admit that his approach was a smart way to get out of an engagement without ending the relationship.

ANSNIMS 4

My husband didn't get me a ring. I have my Great Grandmothers diamond, and my mom bought my wedding band as my wedding gift. Difference is, my husband was just poor... not a jerk who dangles something like that in front of you and then yanks it away. Dump his ass.

Comments

hummingbug 2

hmm...you ought to get past the idea of having a nice engagement ring and go for a nice wedding ring (hopefully you'll have enough money then. just start saving, both of you) and just because you don't have a ring doesn't mean you're not engaged. to other posters: the guy usually pays for things because he is usually (though, of course not always) the one who has a job and has already been saving. the man's main job is to provide. chill people.

You don't need a ring to be married. Sheesh, are you that materialistic/set in tradition? It seems to be good that you two are back and dating, if he couldn't pay for your engagement ring, he wouldn't be able to pay for anything else you wanted. (relating to the wedding at least).

You know what? I find most of these comments slightly ridiculous. It's hard for me to believe that 99% of the commenters care nothing about having a ring. I don't care who thinks it's wrong, I want a ring. And not some stupid Wal-mart or Target one, either. My ex spent between 6-8K on my engagement ring, and it was a simple bold band with a round 1 carat diamond on it. It was gorgeous and I don't think it was wrong of me to love it. My brother spent about 10k designing an engagement ring for his now wife. He doesn't regret one penny of it. I want a nice ring. And Im sorry, higher cost is usually higher quality. It's going to last. I'd plan on spending quite a bit on my husband's ring, as well. It's ok to want nice things. It's ok to go out of your way to make a ring personalized to your partner. It shows thought and effort. If a man takes the effort needed to pick out a ring and works hard to pay for it, I think that's a beautiful show of the effort he will put into the relationship as well. You can agree or not, but Im not ashamed of wanting a ring when I get engaged. There's nothing wrong with it.

You're one of those people that is like "Tiffany 4 lyfe!" right? My SO wants a 1.5 carat Tiffany Diamond ring. Thats about 15K. If I got it elsewhere? 10-11K. But no, it *has* to be this that and that other thing. Sometimes I wonder what exactly is going through girls' heads.

Not at all. My ex got mine from an adorable little family owned jeweler. Im actually pretty simple. Im no good with flashy or name brands. Actually, the place where my brother went was family owned by a family in our church. They actually gave him a big discount. Id never have a problem with where a guy got the ring. as long as he got one and was thinking about what I would like when he did. :) Your SO is being spoiled, lol. My sister would totally do that, though!

I think the high percentage of people saying they don't care about a ring has a direct correlation to the younger age of the posters...I'm willing to bet a good handful of them are under 18. I think it's okay to spend a lot on a ring, if you can afford it and it's something you want. Mine wasn't very expensive, but it was the only ring I loved and I plan to wear it every day of my life!

There's nothing wrong with wanting a ring when getting engaged. However, what everyone's arguing against is ending an engagement because she didn't get a ring. Yes, I agree that getting a beautiful expensive diamond engagement ring will make me extremely happy, but not getting one is definitely not one of my reasons for saying no to someone I love and truly want to marry. That's when it becomes entirely based on materialism.

SarahMarie83 0

I agree, there's nothing wrong with wanting an engagement ring. However the cost is irrelevant and your post proves that. I would never trade the $200 ring that I got married with for an $8K ring that, while beautiful, meant nothing and was an empty promise.

There's nothing so wrong with wanting a ring, but making such a big deal that she considers herself no longer engaged because he cannot afford the ring?

Oh, I agree. She shouldn't suddenly be "not engaged" now. I was just commenting on how many people are saying, "I don't need a ring. Our love is all that matters," or something like that. People are acting like it's ridiculous to even want a ring. Like it's materialistic to want a solid show of an engagement/marriage. Whereas my ex was a douchebag and that 8k ring was nothing, so were the reasons he proposed. So was how he proposed. He put very little effort into picking it and very little effort into all of it. I loved him, so I loved the ring. I didn't love it enough that I tried to keep it, though. It meant so little by that point that I wasn't even upset about giving it back.

skyeyez9 24

my hubby bought my ring from Bijoux jewerly. They have rings 100x better than any other place we have looked. It gets pricey, depending on which custom design you want.

What're you, 14? A ring isn't required to get married. Either he wanted the engagement off, or you're a moron.

Why can't you just be engaged without wearing the ring?

for better or worse,... remember the next line?... you are still engaged if you want to be, but is he often in the habit of spending beyond his meens? red flag!

Being married or engaged has NOTHING to do with a ring. It's about being together and spending the rest of your lives with each other.

You both deserve it for being materialistic enough to think a ring has anything to do with being engaged or not or married or not. I never even got an engagement ring, and the only reason I had a wedding ring was to let other people know I was married. And it wasn't expensive enough to have to go into debt over. Besides that, most diamonds are blood diamonds anyway. You shouldn't have to go into debt over a tiny little "symbol". If you were really in love, that wouldn't matter.

I disagree, gothymama. I think that (blood diamond issue aside, as you can use "recycled" or re-sold diamonds) having a diamond ring as an engagement symbol is a legitimate part of our culture, and as such, if someone wants one, they shouldn't be made to feel it's materialistic. Peoples' values differ, no doubt, but established traditions have a place in society, and honoring them when they don't hurt anyone should be respected. Also, for most cultures around the world, making grand gestures is a way to show love. You're right in saying that they shouldn't "need" that symbol, but we live in the first world and probably 90% of the things we own are things we don't actually need. Just my two cents. :)

I completely agree wordgirl. If you don't want a ring, don't ask for one. But don't rip on other people for wanting one. Yeah it's pretty shitty to demand a 10,000$ ring from someone who can't afford it, but wanting something that will last a long time that will remind you of a special moment isn't neccessarily materialistic. And if you're going to be wearing it for the rest of your life, it does help that you like it.

I believe that a ring is a reminder of who you are with and how much that person means to you and you to them. however you don't need a ring to be engaged and I definately doesn't have to be fancy. also maybe the OP wanted a fancy ring so her fiancé was only trying to get her what she wanted so in a way you may deserve this...