By No Job - 01/10/2015 01:42 - United States - Prairieville

Today, I was supposed to start my new job. I had forgotten I had a doctor's appointment, so I called work early and told them I wouldn't be able to start until tomorrow. My boss then terminated my employment. I got fired before I even started. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 361
You deserved it 30 626

Same thing different taste

Top comments

AnOriginalName 19

Did it ever occur to you how it would look, canceling your first day at work?

If it wasn't too serious, you should of rescheduled the doctors appointment.

Comments

bad_boyfriend 10

I would have fired you as well. You call at the last minute and tell them you need to start a day later. Unless someone died or is in the hospital that is unacceptable

Dopehead666 21

That really blows but unfortunately it does make you look awful... It's completely understandable for them to fire you.

A doctors appointment can be rescheduled. A new job? I hope you're in an in-demand profession. Personally I'm glad you don't work for me with those kind of priorities. Sorry dude.

Maybe it is different in America but it Australia there must be at least 3 instances resulting on discipline before you can terminate someones job. So in Australia you would just have had to had a warning or minor punishment, firing you would be illegal.

Working in America is a very different experience. In most states we have something called "at-will employment," where the employer doesn't need to justify termination like in Australia and most of Europe.

Here in Canada, we have a 90 day probationary period where they can fire you without reason. After that most places have written warnings before the actual firing.

ShadowLor 19

#68, Exactly that, yes. No reason needs to be given HOWEVER if you are unemployed through no fault of your own (so barring negligence, misconduct, etc) you can draw unemployment checks. It's a weird system.

poostickles 14

Australia has a 90 day probation period. OP definitely would have been sacked here too.

U.S. - You can't draw unemployment unless you've worked x number of hours (like 6 months).

Future reference, you NEVER ever make a doctors appointment a priority over a job. EVER!! I would have fired you too.

you could ve postponed the appointment

Take what you learn from this lesson and never do it again. Unless it was a life or death doctors appointment.

PANDORUM89 21

idk why you chose the appt over the job.

You're gonna call out for your first day on your first day?? What did you think would happen? Why didn't you just reschedule your doctors appointment?

That's your own fault. One a doctors appointment doesn't take all day, and two you re-schedule the appointment not the job. This was an idiotic move on your part. I hope you learn from it.