Office life sucks

By Anonymous - 02/11/2019 02:00

Today, I was supposed to start a new job. I had accepted a new position with a different company three weeks ago, and gave my notice. At the time, I even trained my replacement. Today, I found out that my new work doesn't need me anymore. So, I'm unemployed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 394
You deserved it 215

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Makes one want to reconsider giving notice at all and instead just taking a sick/ personal day for the first day or two at the new job to make sure that they even remember hiring you in the first place.... Good luck at getting a new job, OP!

You didn’t sign a contract or anything with the new employer? You should always, always, always sign before quitting the old one. If you have, then the law is on your side and they have to pay you for your contracted hours! Contact your union or whatever equivalent you have where you’re from!

Comments

Makes one want to reconsider giving notice at all and instead just taking a sick/ personal day for the first day or two at the new job to make sure that they even remember hiring you in the first place.... Good luck at getting a new job, OP!

More time to write hilarious comments on FML!

ThatOneLonelyAsian 31

What? You don't? I just bought another Tesla with some of my sweet FML commenting cash. You need to apply for yours!

ThatOneLonelyAsian 31
Mungolikecandy 19

Contractually you have to give a month's notice with most places of work. Why would it be dumb to hand your notice in when promised another job? The fact the company he was going to has reneged upon the deal does the OP dumb.

ThatOneLonelyAsian 31

No most places require 2 weeks notice. Unless it an entry level job like retail. They typically just have you finish your work week. Unless you say you can work until this day. Well that has happened to me when I’ve left job.

Mungolikecandy 19

Ah U.S based. most other countries are 1 month but then they also have better employment laws.

Trinity Fenwick 7

sue the new job. everyone else does.

You didn’t sign a contract or anything with the new employer? You should always, always, always sign before quitting the old one. If you have, then the law is on your side and they have to pay you for your contracted hours! Contact your union or whatever equivalent you have where you’re from!

E2dav 5

Dick move of the new job to screw you over like that. Ask your old job if they can take you back for a short stint or in another role while you find something else.