By No Job - 01/10/2015 01:42 - United States - Prairieville

Today, I was supposed to start my new job. I had forgotten I had a doctor's appointment, so I called work early and told them I wouldn't be able to start until tomorrow. My boss then terminated my employment. I got fired before I even started. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 361
You deserved it 30 626

Same thing different taste

Top comments

AnOriginalName 19

Did it ever occur to you how it would look, canceling your first day at work?

If it wasn't too serious, you should of rescheduled the doctors appointment.

Comments

Wow! Just wow! Did you not see that coming? You told someone the job they were going to give you isn't important enough for you to show up your first day. Also if you said anything like, I'm punctual, detail oriented, great at multi tasking, or almost anything you would say during an interview, then you've just told them you lied.

It obviously sucks that you lost your job, but this was completely your fault. There are two possibilities: one, this was a minor appointment that you could have easily rescheduled, or two, this was a major appointment or surgery that you've waited months for. In the first case, you're telling work that you're forgetful, not good with schedules, and that you prioritize your personal life and convenience over work. In the second case, you're telling work all of that, and that you're so disorganized and forgetful that you can't even remember major events. Why would they want to hire someone like that? Would you want a worker who treats the job so casually?

Round of applause!! I am the hiring manager at my job and this is exactly how I viewed the situation.

You've got the brains of a box, of rock !!! Go to work, that Obama care appointment, can be rescheduled.

What the hell does the ACA have to do with anything? And why do you use so many unnecessary commas?

With that grammar, you're the one with "brains of a box, of rock!!!"

I read this in Stevie's voice from Malcolm in the Middle.

It probably would've been easier just rescheduling your doctors appointment

I'm sorry... are you surprised that happened? Sucks to lose a job but you clearly didn't want it anyway or you would have been more careful and less forgetful. I'd suggest you carry around a day planner from now on so this never happens again

Not fyl, totally ydi. Seriously, do people really lack this much common sense?

Why didn't you reschedule your doctors appointment. Unless you were dying, or in need of urgent medical attention, you have an obligation to show up for your first day of work or risk termination. YDI

Why not just take a partial day instead of missing a whole one? This just makes you look disorganised and unreliable.

Even asking for a partial day the day you are supposed to start is pretty unacceptable.

Ya, technically you didn't get fired before you started, you got fired on your first day, just because you asked to start the next day doesn't mean that wasn't your first day still! Get your priorities straight!! YDI