By new name - 06/11/2012 22:03 - United States - Storrs Mansfield

Today, I told my family that I wanted to change my last name to my future wife's. We want to have the same last name, and we chose hers because she is an only child, while I have three brothers. Half of my family is laughing and calling me "pussy whipped" while the other half won't speak to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 334
You deserved it 16 580

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't listen to them, that is an amazing thing to do and maybe even the perfect way to start a wonderful new life :) congratulations.

It doesn't make you whipped. That's the cutest thing ever.

Comments

You can hand over your man card at any time. Lol

Logically it makes sense. The Testosterone in me says N O O O O O O W A A A A Y!!!!

You realize there's no DNA pattern that makes men averse to taking their wife's name, right? You've been taught to believe this, you can teach yourself to unbelieve it.

duckfan4life 1

You, my dear Sir, are an absolute sweetheart. How extremely thoughtful of you. To heck with what the family think. If you were a daughter you would more than likely no longer be carrying on the family name, so in these days of equality and equal rights, why should it matter?? If your family loves you they'll get over it. Ignore the "pussy whipped" comments - they're laughing because they don't have the balls to do it themselves!! Best wishes to you and your fiance for a wonderful life together.

kappycone 8

Who cares bout them. Your love life not theirs.

That is so sweet! At least HER family will appreciate the gesture!

" I believe it's respectful to take their last name. When a man has asked you to marry him he's asking to make a life with you to share this special thing... Many complain that the value of marriage no longer exist, this is why. Their is no longer that respect that is needed." So you think that I (and many other wives) are disrespectful if we don't take our husband's last names? What. The. Hell. I don't mean to sound rude, but you don't know me. You don't know what type of person I am. And you're basing your idea of "respect"...on what, exactly? I'm very respectful of my husband. He's very respectful of me. There are many wives who are respectful of their husbands without needing to take his last name, just like there are many wives who are disrespectful and cruel to their husbands even though they have taken their last names. Taking a name has nothing to do with how respectful a person is/will be in a marriage.