By new name - 06/11/2012 22:03 - United States - Storrs Mansfield

Today, I told my family that I wanted to change my last name to my future wife's. We want to have the same last name, and we chose hers because she is an only child, while I have three brothers. Half of my family is laughing and calling me "pussy whipped" while the other half won't speak to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 334
You deserved it 16 580

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't listen to them, that is an amazing thing to do and maybe even the perfect way to start a wonderful new life :) congratulations.

It doesn't make you whipped. That's the cutest thing ever.

Comments

Sir, I applaud your courage and conviction. Now, get in there and make a baby! Or at least TRY. They will get over it. She will be grateful. Your father in law owes you.

Corrupt_waffles 13

My family name is probably going to end with me. I'm an only child and none of my uncles and aunts had children. :(

Many do it in the Medical field. However, wouldn't a compromise that meets both party would be to take hyphenated name(both of you)!

Wow. This really wouldn't be such a big deal in Sweden. But good OP, you did the right thing!

It's such a silly and sexist custom yet people are used to it. If a man or a woman wants to change their name or if they want to keep it, who cares? It cracks me up when some guys say that if a girl doesn't take his name, it means she doesn't love him...but if he doesn't take her name if requested, then it's OK. **** sexism.

Isa_fml 20

They're idiots. Go for it, and congratulations to the both of you!

You're not alone. I know a man who had an abusive ****** for a dad and when he was getting married he decided to take his wife's last name to distance himself from the man and start a new family. Fortunately for him, his mother hated her ex husband almost as much as her son, so she fully supported him.

Grr, my phone cut me off and I guess the comment flood thing stopped my correction from being posted. *more of a pussy to me.

Wow never take the girls last name ever!

bignut24 13

Yeaaaa u is so pussy whipped man grow a pair and man da **** up.