By new name - 06/11/2012 22:03 - United States - Storrs Mansfield

Today, I told my family that I wanted to change my last name to my future wife's. We want to have the same last name, and we chose hers because she is an only child, while I have three brothers. Half of my family is laughing and calling me "pussy whipped" while the other half won't speak to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 334
You deserved it 16 580

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't listen to them, that is an amazing thing to do and maybe even the perfect way to start a wonderful new life :) congratulations.

It doesn't make you whipped. That's the cutest thing ever.

Comments

Lol my dad has 3 brothers, and my mom has 7 sisters. My mom stuck with her last name and some of her sisters gave their sons their last names instead of their husbands last name, and I have a sister and only one boy cousin...

Chel2010 10

My boyfriend and I joke about doing that a lot if we get married, but that's impressive that you want to do that for her :) it's your choice. And hey, tell your family "At least I'm not changing my name to Beezop"

adam_tajyar 10

It doesn't matter if what you're doing is considered "sweet". It's not the cultural norm. The wife should be taking your last name and its also her forming a new family with you and becoming a part of your extended family. It's a tradition for a woman to take her husbands last name.

Who says we have to stick to tradition? Why aren't there any symbolic things for the husband joining his wife's family? There is nothing wrong with doing something different from cultural norms.

kittenvks 11

Yes and at one point slavery was the cultural norm... You can't be serious! You know I vowed never to be my own mother BUT, "if everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you jump too?!" Think for yourself.

**** you, there really is no "cultural norm" here. There are plenty of "social norms" that are archaic and stupid. I never changed my last name and I'm glad I didn't considering the divorce rate. My ex knew I wasn't changing my name but then made a huge deal of it after the wedding. I told him that if it was so important that we have the same last name he could change his. It's a huge pain in the ass to change your name on all your documents. It's perfectly legal for a woman to use either name without officially changing it. Why should it always be the woman that makes sacrifices for a relationship?

hanymandy 6

That was a really sexist thing to say. Who cares about a "social norm" it's making his wife happy which is more important in marriage.

He should do that because its the cultural norm? It used to be the cultural norm for the woman to not work and just take care of house and family. If no one went against that then a lot of families would be struggling with just one income now. Social norms doesn't necessarily mean you have to follow all of them.

mvc3ftw 17

It's a war zone out here!-hides in a fox hole-

97 actually when women started to work in america and leave the house there was a lot of objection to it but women WANTED more "freedom"

It also used to be "tradition" to stone people to death for saying crap like that.

crazytwinsmom 25

In some cultures, the husband does take the wife's last name.

Quest_ 13

If a woman takes her husband's last name it's expected. If a man takes his wife's name OMG HE IS SO AMAZING AMD SWEET

OhDearBetrayal 25

Yeah I mean it's not like it's not going against the grain and risking a "socially acceptable manly" reputation or anything.

Not just that, but women have to go through all the craziness of changing all their legal documents, credit cards, photo ID's, and all other items that are used on a daily basis to identify her or pay for items. I just wonder if the man has more to do then check the box that says "married" instead of "single."

Quest_ 13

It's just aggravating that most people still seem to think that a woman's name and personal identity is not important, while a man's is important. Also agreed with 87.

dmadsen33 9

Exactly.! Thank you! Also whenever a man is being emotional it's all so amazing whilst it's expected for females to be soft and sensitive. FFS.

It's not just that he's taking her name, it's that he's willing to do so despite probably opening himself up to a lifetime of ridicule and explaining.

I can understand the OP's family not understanding their son giving up his last name. It breaks from tradition and defiantly could be seen as an insult to them. Ex: (In their eyes, you are no longer proud of who you are) Why not hyphenate both names? Or something. Just be prepared, your decision will rise a few eyebrows.

Hyphening is considered rude to some families and if OP's family feels that strongly about him taking her name, then they might not like her not fully taking him name and still keeping hers. People are more accepting of hyphenations when it's the rich or famous.

But didn't hyphenation come about for just this situation? When the woman's family name would end with her. It's a way to keep both names alive. They can be a mouthful though.

secretsymbiote21 5

some families are set in their ways. it is your choice OP.

kittykatkassie 6

...and how new traditions are made. Change isn't always bad. If we're going with you're logic we should all have slaves, women should be in the kitchen and the firstborn son should inherit everything

Oh_So_Klassical 18

Your name, your life, your choice, not theirs.