By new name - 06/11/2012 22:03 - United States - Storrs Mansfield

Today, I told my family that I wanted to change my last name to my future wife's. We want to have the same last name, and we chose hers because she is an only child, while I have three brothers. Half of my family is laughing and calling me "pussy whipped" while the other half won't speak to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 334
You deserved it 16 580

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't listen to them, that is an amazing thing to do and maybe even the perfect way to start a wonderful new life :) congratulations.

It doesn't make you whipped. That's the cutest thing ever.

Comments

noisebox 1

They're totally right it's supposed to be the other way around, she takes your last name. Ps she probably thinks your a wimp too and my crystal ball tells me there going to be trouble down the line.....

allisadawn91 8

People are upset when they don't have sons for a reason. You can't ******* cheat the system like that. Totally agree with your family dude.

Derpenstien 4

@#161 As OP stated, he has brothers to carry on his own family's name. And even if he didn't, it's not 105 B.C. It meant something when we were fighting over who owned which cave. Nowadays, no one is going to mourn the loss of the great clan Jones.

Um, how is him changing his last name cheating the system? That's like saying any woman to change her last name for her husband is cheating the system. It's a perfectly legal system. Plus, Op has three other brothers to carry on the family name. Highly doubt that none of them are going to carry it on...

Dude,you are more of a man than any guy I know. This just means you put your feelings first,not your frustrations. It means that you are a self-confident man without the need to prove your masculinity with trivial and cave man acting. BRAVO!!!

If you want to change your last name to hers go for it. But there are also other ways. Two aunts I have are the only children in her family, both of them kept their last names but my uncles kept theirs. And their children, one a set of twins with one of each last name, and the other a single child with my aunt's last name. So you don't have to change it if you don't want to. If you do then power to you! Ignore your family and do what makes you feel happy.

Eh, don't listen to them OP. My friend's husband did that, though I think it was to avoid a stalker ex lol

That's really noble of you. Don't listen to your dumb ass family who can't understand why your doing it

robert76 5

I don't get the people acting like this is a "noble" thing to do. Do you even realize where the whole taking your spouse's last name came from? It's a medieval thing. Property was passed down along paternal lines, thus the wife taking the husband's name. The few times a matrilineal marriage took place, it was because the wife was of a higher rank in the nobility than the male, a duchess marrying a count for example. These days, the sharing of the last names means nothing and there is nothing noble, on either the male or female side, about it.

At least your getting pussy, ask them whens the last they got laid?