By new name - 06/11/2012 22:03 - United States - Storrs Mansfield

Today, I told my family that I wanted to change my last name to my future wife's. We want to have the same last name, and we chose hers because she is an only child, while I have three brothers. Half of my family is laughing and calling me "pussy whipped" while the other half won't speak to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 334
You deserved it 16 580

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't listen to them, that is an amazing thing to do and maybe even the perfect way to start a wonderful new life :) congratulations.

It doesn't make you whipped. That's the cutest thing ever.

Comments

TweetAnne 13

"Happy wife, happy life" It's not the norm/tradition, but its an extremely nice gesture. If I ever get married I will not take my husbands name. Our kids can have it but I will not take it. Who cares what society thinks, do what you feel is right that comes from your heart.

'Happy wife happy life'? Cause theirs only the wife in a marriage right? How can you not feel 'right' or feel it in your heart to take your husbands last name? I believe it's respectful to take their last name. When a man has asked you to marry him he's asking to make a life with you to share this special thing... Many complain that the value of marriage no longer exist, this is why. Their is no longer that respect that is needed. And if you think that its a ride in life where it's time to be selfish no matter if you're right or wrong and you husband just has to put up with it and please your every need. Save the divorce and don't get married.

mvc3ftw 17

"I believe it's respectful to take their last name." So the wife must respect her husbuand, but the husband doesn't need to respect his wife? Shouldn't respect be a mutual thing in marriage?

So not taking your husband's last name when you get married automatically makes you selfish and headed for divorce? Tell that to the women in Latin America. Here, women keep their last names, but might add "de (husband's name)" at the end. And I don't think the divorce rate here is any higher than the one in the US.

od4ev 13

Lets be realistic. I agree with ur family. U obviously dont wear the pants in the relationship or have any balls. U need to man up

You obviously don't think of a relationship as a partnership. So one person has to be dominant over the other in order to be a real relationship? Let me know how that restraining order works out if you ever manage to date anyone.

Jinxx7 0

I think that is really awesome!

As someone with a crappy last name I personally don't understand why these decisions aren't based purely on taking whatever name that sounds the least craptastic.

MiloBear 11

I agree; I've always wanted to take my future husband's surname simply because mine is boring and really common.

As a female i find it annoying that its assumed i am going to take my fiances last name. My name is so much nicer than his simple SMITH. His friends years ago told him that if it were an option he should take my last name. I might have to do the dreaded hyphenation or simply not take his.

Tycisas 5

I don't blame you. In China the women keeps her last name. So if he's unwilling to take yours then just keep yours if you like. I would give your children your last name to if you like it better as well.

About 75% of the reason for me wanting to change my name is because mine is 10 letters long and I'm always having to spell it, and his is 6 letters and he's never had to spell it out.

KM96 24

Thats so nice of you to do! I wish my future husband will do that for me!

Don't listen to them OP. I'm an only child, and I can only hope to find a man like you. It's really sweet of you to do that.