By new name - 06/11/2012 22:03 - United States - Storrs Mansfield

Today, I told my family that I wanted to change my last name to my future wife's. We want to have the same last name, and we chose hers because she is an only child, while I have three brothers. Half of my family is laughing and calling me "pussy whipped" while the other half won't speak to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 334
You deserved it 16 580

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't listen to them, that is an amazing thing to do and maybe even the perfect way to start a wonderful new life :) congratulations.

It doesn't make you whipped. That's the cutest thing ever.

Comments

conholio33 28

To all those who say OP is whipped.... Leave him alone.... He oviously thought about this and is happy with his choice

I think that's a really nice thing to do. **** them! X

I read an article a couple moths back in a parenting magazine that is pretty similar to this. The husband took the wifes name because she was an only child and he had nothing bu brothers and wanted to carry on the family name for his wife since his family name would already be carried on by his brothers. The most difficult part about the whole thing he claimed was explaining to Social Security and the credit card companies why he was changing his last name. Those places thought he was trying to escape credit card debt or the law. His family had some issues with it, but in the end he did what he wanted. OP, feel free to do the same since you have plenty of male members to carry on the name.

My family is fiercely proud of our name (it translates from German into "honest man"), and the expectation is that you churn out kids, preferably boys, to keep the name going. So I definitely understand their point of view. Changing your name decreases the likelihood that your family name will survive, and your family obviously took offence to that. That and they might be assuming that you don't think your name is good enough for you, or that you're embarrassed by it. You'd think that you'd know your family well enough that the backlash wouldn't come as a surprise.

First of all, Op says he has three brothers. In all likelihood at least one of them will multiply down the line. In this day and age it's rare for three brothers of a family of four children, (maybe more if there are any sisters), to *not* get married and have children. Furthermore, this was much more relevant in the days if very high mortality rates in children through young adults, where there was a percentage of how many of a woman's children were going to die. Second of all, your point goes more towards the reason why Op is changing his last name to his future wife's. Her family had no other children, and thus that family name was going to die out with her should she change her last name to his. And if Op's family had any compassion in them, they would understand that, given that they're upset for the reason you've stated. Why shouldn't it come as a surprise for them to backlash? I know my family well enough too, but there are some things we've never discussed, regarding my surname or my cousins' surnames, and why would any loving family be so cruel about something so petty in the long run? It's a simple legality. You're seriously saying that Op should have seen this crap coming?

Hahaha_Haha_Haha 7

Christ, I didn't even state an opinion and you guys are trying to tear me apart. I only stated reasons why OP's family would be offended by this, and used my family as an example. I did not say "churn out babies," and I did not say OP should or shouldn't change his name. And I repeat: I said I understand why OP's family acted the way they did, but I did NOT say these views were my own. So there's no point in trying to argue with me on something I have no stated opinion on.

Don't let them destroy your happiness with her

msCherry973 2

My and my husband gave our son my last name because he is the only male to keep the name going.... This happens more often than your family realizes

winkydog4056 16

Take both last names for both of you. Mr. OP Smith Jones & Mrs. NotOP Smith Jones....everybody now happy. I cant take credit for this. i know a couple that did this.

Don't listen to your family. Let them joke and make fun, but your future wife will always remember what you did for her and her family. I commend you for this.

They can piss off, there's nothing wrong with taking her last name instead of yours. I could understand if you were the only child, but for them to be calling you "pussywhipped" is just childish and pathetic. Start referring to yourself by the full name all the time and see how much THAT annoys them ;)

I don't see why everyone is making a huge deal of this guy being "so sweet" and "selfless." Women don't get this treatment when they change their names for marriage, why should this guy be either praised or insulted? They made a decision to go with one of two names, that's their business and his family needs to butt out. Hopefully his in-laws will treat him properly while it blows over. I really think all engaged couples should discuss it though, instead of just assuming and accepting.

He obviously needs the support since he posted on FML. That's why we're "making a big deal", to make him feel good about his decision.