By new name - 06/11/2012 22:03 - United States - Storrs Mansfield

Today, I told my family that I wanted to change my last name to my future wife's. We want to have the same last name, and we chose hers because she is an only child, while I have three brothers. Half of my family is laughing and calling me "pussy whipped" while the other half won't speak to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 332
You deserved it 16 578

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't listen to them, that is an amazing thing to do and maybe even the perfect way to start a wonderful new life :) congratulations.

It doesn't make you whipped. That's the cutest thing ever.

Comments

oj101 33

I see sexism is still rife. On the other side. But seriously, it's better to please your wife than your family as you and your wife is your own unit now.

My friend just had a similar situation, though they made the mistake not to tell his parents before the wedding. As his family heard it during the ceremony, his father and sister stormed out and won't talk to him ever since. I hope it goes better for you and your family will learn to live with it. I think it is a very sweet thing of you to do!

Shadow_Phantom 26

That's a sweet (and logical) thing for you to do, OP. FYL.

You are amazing OP. It is your choice to change your name, and it is an amazing gesture towards your wife and her family. Don't be afraid to do it just because it is outside social norms.

Your family still has plenty of chances to carry on their name, your wife to be, had none. I respect you for choosing to go against the grain of "normality" for in the end, her & your opinions are the only ones that matter.

The male carries the name! It's her parents fault, not her responsibility. I told my wife if you don't want my last name we aren't getting married.

I wouldn't have married you for ten millions. And I don't understand why your wife wanted to either. Why is your last name more important that your wife?

A bit harsh, no? Hope your wife's family is really great to compensate for yours :)

wagne057 6

I'd rather have my balls in my future wife's hands than my own. That's a great thing you're doing for your fiancé.

itsgen 16

You are a true man for making your future wife happy(: Its your choice why even tell them for pointless negative opinions? Life is too short to deal with ignorant closed minded people.