By SadFoxLady - 10/06/2013 18:01 - United States - Des Moines

Today, after years of researching and saving money, I got a pet fox. I was able to enjoy the majesty of the animal for three hours before it burrowed under the fence and ran away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 777
You deserved it 55 654

Same thing different taste

Top comments

mpj13 8

Listen Doc, there is such a thing as "domesticated foxes" just like cats and dogs had to be domesticated through breeding, training, and human interaction. If you do your research like OP did you would know that domesticated foxes make better pets than most cats & dogs because they have the best traits of both. If anything I blame OP for not installing a deep rooted fence because foxes at notorious diggers.

Comments

To everyone saying that wild animals are not pets: where do you think dogs, cat, and livestock came from? Saying that wild animals are not pets, is like saying quills are not writing tools. Just because it isn't the mainstream doesn't mean it isn't plausible and maybe, just maybe, this person would have been a responsible exotic pet owner. If he had a license for an exotic pet, done the research, and had a fence for a safe enclosure, we can only assume that this pet owner was at least attempting to do the right thing. I own a snake. I did not release it when it got too big, because I know how to keep its growth stunted by controlling the environment in which it lives, I also know that it will get as large as me. It has escaped its cage before and I had books on how to keep them from escaping. Not all research includes everything. First time exotic pet owners are bound to miss something. OP did the research and was an informed owner, not all animals would attempt to dig out. Try again soon op, now you know that you should dig an area about 3-4ft inside of the fence and lay more fencing or chicken wire. Hope your future pet endeavors go well. Last thing, he probably had already gotten attached to this poor pup and now it is gone. It sucks that you people are being harsh to someone who lost their pet.

I just want to point out to you that dogs, cats and livestock were domesticated for a certain purpose. People started domesticating livestock for food. They kept dogs to guard the livestock (and their home/family). And they started feeding the cats that kept the rodents away. So for those pets there that you put in the same category as foxes and stuff there was a reason to domesticate them. They were USEFUL. Well what's the use of a fox? Ohh it's so cute and cuddly and omg I'm gonna be so special that I have a freaking fox as a pet! There's a difference between the people back then that needed the animals and started to feed them and eventually they stayed with them or people holding wild animals captive and getting them used to being dependant and caged just because they are so cute. It's just selfish.

Foxes can be used for hunting small game. (rabbits, rats, other small creatures of the like) There. Made the point you were getting at and I am CERTAIN that there are owners that do specifically this. Also, by your logic, current owners should not own pets because they aren't using them as tools for a need? If you own any pet whatsoever, and you don't use it for something, you are a hypocrite. The reason people own a pet is for companionship. It's so they can have a friend that doesn't want or need a reason to be a friend. That is more than enough of a reason to own a pet that suits you and your personality. If it is a fox, snake, or bird so be it. Don't persecute OP for wanting a specific type of partner.

My logic doesn't say that cats and dogs are still needed for their original purpose. I'm only justifying their domestication because many people on here seem to use them as the ultimate argument so that humans should be allowed to domesticate any animal they want. Also, I see your point in owning a pet because you want a companion. I still think it's selfish to pick a wild animal and say "Hey, I want you as my friend. I'm gonna capture you and start breeding you so one day all your decendants will live in captivity, depending on us." I'm not blaming OP personally, I'm blaming the human way of thinking they can own whatever they want. ( --> The people that started domesticating wild animals)

daringtoride 27

You keep saying this, but I don't exactly understand (not meaning to be offensive, just genuinely confused.) It's been brought up too many times, but it still comes to the dog/cat thing (not RIGHT to it, but something like that.) There are people who can be allergic to all types of animals, but hey - a fox is the perfect thing, and they aren't. Everyone is just so different, which is the thing. It's all just different preference. Though I believe it boils down whether you're a responsible animal owner or not.

kdbernie10 3

Foxes are adorable so I can't blame you for wanting one as a pet. I would've done the same and been damn upset if it ran away

I understand there are domesticated foxes but then again, what's to stop anyone from domesticating anything. Just because other people are doing it doesn't make it a good idea.

Foxes make better pets than most cats and dogs

Well I respect your opinion, but that's all it is. Who's to say such things like this is better then that? Sounds to me like a matter of personal choice.

CookieLovesBoo 16

That's sad I'm sorry ... You could have done somthing to prevent that

I swear some people are so narrow minded. Domesticated foxes are quite real, as well as raccoons, deer, etc. anyone ever had a guinea pig? Those are wild animals. A rabbit? Also wild animals. Hell, I've had a 75% wolf before, and although I had to have certain safety precautions in place for the city, he was an amazing animal. Not even slightly hostile. I could grab his food while he was chewing it and he would just let go and wait until I decided he could have it back. And when I let him off his leash in the woods, he'd always come back after he had a bunny or something. Tbh it isn't about whether or not it's domesticated. It is about knowledge of the animal as well as respect. Although yes, being bred for human interaction helps. regardless, you people are too quick to judge others because we aren't the "norm" and have no legitimate defense Therfore you try to to belittle us.

daringtoride 27

Thank you for speaking up! :) There are domesticated raccoons and such - just because no one really hears about it, doesn't mean it isn't happening (and most of these animals for several, several years.) I know why people don't speak up about them either - because of the fact that there are others who claim we are being "cruel" and "selfish." If we were seeking attention, wouldn't you hear about this more often? (By the way - the half-dog/half-wolf thing = yes. It all depends on training and where they grow. That is what really factors into anything. If you're dedicated, then there isn't a problem. Well, there may be some but as long as you correct it then you're doing fine.)

exactly this! If foxes and other exotic pets were only being owned because we think they are cute and cuddly, why aren't these ditzy bimbos with tons of money walking around with foxes in their handbags instead of handbags made of foxes with little yippy dogs in them?

daringtoride 27

Ah, I'm sorry - my comment said half-dog/half-wolf! :) You originally said 75% wolf, and that makes me admire you even more!

Well thank you. Also, your picture reminds me of another wild animal that's proven itself invaluable for many reasons.

LadyEmi 15

Then you obviously didn't do any research XD foxes dig ya know

DOGS dig. Foxes are a dog. Foxes dig. If you own a dog you shouldn't know it will try to dig at some point.

Epikouros 31

Enough with all the long rants. Someone please post an FML about a less controversial subject, like abortion or the Syrian civil war.

Or Game of Thrones. I'll start: THAT SHOW SUCKS! There. Thread jacked.

an abortion during the Syrian civil war?

OP likes exotic animals. Why are you even mentioning a dog??? Do people nor understand!

I'm not the most researched on foxes, but, with cats and dogs, I think you are generally supposed to keep them inside for the first few weeks after you get them so that they can understand that this is there house. I'm not saying this is your fault, you definitely don't deserve it, but, just some advice for if you find your fox or get a new one!

perdix 29

You should have gotten a Redd Foxx, you big dummy. Elizabeth, this is the big one! I'm coming to see you!