By SadFoxLady - 10/06/2013 18:01 - United States - Des Moines

Today, after years of researching and saving money, I got a pet fox. I was able to enjoy the majesty of the animal for three hours before it burrowed under the fence and ran away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 777
You deserved it 55 654

Same thing different taste

Top comments

mpj13 8

Listen Doc, there is such a thing as "domesticated foxes" just like cats and dogs had to be domesticated through breeding, training, and human interaction. If you do your research like OP did you would know that domesticated foxes make better pets than most cats & dogs because they have the best traits of both. If anything I blame OP for not installing a deep rooted fence because foxes at notorious diggers.

Comments

You obviously did pretty poor research. I'm from Iowa as well, I volunteered at The Academy of Wildlife Education in Des Moines. We have five foxes and do programs about both species of fox native to Iowa for the public with Red (the female red fox). I knew that in order to have a fox as a pet you needed an enclosure that goes about 6ft underground because the dig and that it needed a top because they can climb (only dog species with that ability!). I learned all that on the Internet with just a single google search. I also happen to know that in order to LEGALLY have a pet fox in Iowa you need a special license, which is rather hard to obtain unless you've worked with exotic animals, which you clearly have not done. I suggest you call either Pella Wildlife Company or Animal Control to let them know that there is a domesticated fox (and what type of fox) running around in your city. Otherwise it will not survive in the wild and will be too people friendly, which could result in someone shooting it because they don't know it's tame.

I didn't even know you could buy a fox. They're beautiful animals though.

drayloon 50

Did you forget to research their digging ability?

No need for research ,watch animal planet. A fox is ment to be in the wild.

Just because you can have an exotic animal doesn't mean you should.

Years of research, yet you didn't know that the fox would burrow? Stay away from all children and pets if you really are that dumb and ignorant.

Foxes are not usually pets for a very good reason. Your research should've told you that if it was as thorough as you say.

Looks like you didn't do enough researching or else you would have known about them burrowing under fences...

loti18 8

well yeah! A fox is a wild animal, not like a dog or cat you can train.

Cats and dogs were wild animals once too, dumbass

and domesticated foxes are pets that you can train

I'm pretty sure if you leave a cat or dog alone in your yard on the first day you get it, it will run away and not come back. It has nothing to do with the fox being a wild animal, OP is just a dumbass for leaving a new pet unattended.