Property dispute

By Anonymous - 19/01/2014 22:59 - United States - Dallas

Today, I asked my girlfriend's dad for permission to take her hand in marriage. He said no, because he doesn't want her marrying a "sexist idiot who treats her like property", which he thinks asking permission amounts to, then told me to grow up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 812
You deserved it 11 954

Same thing different taste

Top comments

P_M95 8

If she truly loves you she shouldn't care what her parents think. As long as you are an honest nice guy.

hazardmuffin 21

Asking for his blessing would be respecting his view. Asking for permission makes it sound like his daughter's choice isn't really hers, which is where the "tradition" came from. Back when women really DIDN'T have that choice.

Comments

sammieshortcake 15

My Dad told my husband if it were up to him he would say no. Luckily he asked anyways.

hazardmuffin 21

Technically that's where the tradition comes from...women used to BE considered property...so he has a point. Asking for PERMISSION to marry her, even if just out of tradition, makes it sounds like his daughter isn't or shouldn't be allowed to make her own decisions. Obviously you meant no harm, but you clearly didn't stop to consider how creepy that is.

I agree; asking permission is not sweet or cute. When you and your SO decide to marry, that is your decision and yours alone. No one else gets to have a say in the matter. To do so is to disrespect your girlfriend's autonomy by giving her parents a say in what she does or is allowed to do with her life. I would be incredibly offended if someone asked my parents' permission - particularly if they were asked before I was. Blessings are fine, but only after you've proposed and she's said yes. Anything else is just undermining women's rights to their own lives and supporting a patriarchal society.

It's not undermining her rights because it's not like he's going to marry her even if she doesn't want to get married. He's simply making sure her parents are okay with the marriage. If he wants to become a part if the family, which remember is a huge aspect of getting married, he should know that they don't resent their marriage. He never disrespected her decision in anyway, he just want to make sure her father doesn't hate him. And if he values her father's opinion, than he obviously cares about her a lot.

The dad's an idiot. No one is saying the daughter is some kind of chattel. Of course it's her decision, but one can still honour their future in laws by checking with her parents first. If the dad is so progressive, he'd recognize that. Sounds like it's the dad who needs to grow up.

squideth 18

Why the **** would her father need to grow up? He recognizes his daughter as a person and also sees that tradition for what it is: outdated and sexist. Sounds like YOU need to grow up.

How is it sexist to see how the in laws feel? It's not an either-or proposition. In this day and age, "permission" is not a word to be taken literally. The in laws are people the husband is gonna want to be on good terms with going forward. Grow up.

Anyhow, by denying "permission", isn't the dad contradicting his own (twisted) view?

CrazyGirlfriend 21

asking permission to marry his daughter is rude and disrespectful to his girlfriend. it makes it appear as if the boy still views her as property instead of an actual person. I am a female and a person. as such, I would love if the guy proposed to ME FIRST then TOGETHER we went to my father and asked for his BLESSING, not his PERMISSION. that way it is more of "we're getting married and we want you to be okay with it. so we're giving you and us a chance to work out any problems we have now so it won't be problematic in the future". instead of it being like "I want your daughter for my own so I am asking you to give her to me, despite how she feels".

I feel like people are taking the word "permission" too literally. It's not like he's going to marry her regardless of her decision. Asking for a blessing is not "sexist", he did it to be on good terms with her father which I personally think, as a woman myself, a good thing to do because you need to remember your in laws are a big part of being married. You wouldn't want your parents to resent your marriage, now would you? He's not going to marry her is she doesn't want to get married, obviously, I feel like some people are thinking he's outdated just because he used the word "permission". Calm down guys, this isn't a sexist issei you're making out to be one.

Ask her anyway. Obviously you don't need her father's permission anyway, which was his point, so problem solved.

Wow her dad is a douche bag. Asking permission doesn't automatically mean you see her as property to be purchased for your own. It just shows that you want to be respectful of the people who made and raised her. My advice: go ahead and propose to her and if the dad gets pissed off and points out that he said no, just tell him that since you apparently weren't supposed to ask in the first place, the father's permission is irrelevant. He can't really refute that based off the stupid logic he has in "progressive" ideology.

CrazyGirlfriend 21

this is the most stupid post I have ever seen. I would respect my father more than I do now (if that's possible) if a man asked for his permission and replied with this. cause he's right. if the guy did respect me as a person than he should know that it isnt up to my father. its my decision to say yes. we should be asking for his blessing together after the proposal has happened. permisson makes it sound like Im property to be transferred. but when we both ask for my father and mother's blessing then Im basically telling my parent's that I am getting married so if they have any unressolved issues with us being together then we all have time to work through it so we can be a happy couple. I would even go to his parents with him and ask for their blessing so there isnt any hard feelings any where that will come out during later years.

#71: If it was supposed to be an act of respect towards people who made and raised her, why didn't he ask both her parents? Why just her father? Doesn't her mother get a vote in the whole permission thing?

After reading all these comments it is clear to me why the divorce rate is so high.

It's a bit immature but just propose anyway...and if you treat her right (which you do) her dad will take the words back...