Property dispute

By Anonymous - 19/01/2014 22:59 - United States - Dallas

Today, I asked my girlfriend's dad for permission to take her hand in marriage. He said no, because he doesn't want her marrying a "sexist idiot who treats her like property", which he thinks asking permission amounts to, then told me to grow up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 812
You deserved it 11 954

Same thing different taste

Top comments

P_M95 8

If she truly loves you she shouldn't care what her parents think. As long as you are an honest nice guy.

hazardmuffin 21

Asking for his blessing would be respecting his view. Asking for permission makes it sound like his daughter's choice isn't really hers, which is where the "tradition" came from. Back when women really DIDN'T have that choice.

Comments

Definitely a difference between asking for his permission and asking for his blessing... I can totally understand why he felt that way. I know it seems respectful but the only PERMISSION you should ask for is the woman you want to marry.

Technically he's right, though being pedantic and overly technical. Asking for his daughters hand is, originally, something you do before you discuss price.

If your plan was/is to marry her regardless of what he says why ask in the first place? Brownie points? It seems more of a thing for suck ups rather than sexist pigs. If she needed their opinion on who to marry so badly I'm sure she'd just have an arranged marriage.

Are you dumb? He was just trying to be nice to the parents. And the dad obviously has some issues.

Im not stupid. Doing things for the sake of being nice when you dont mean it makes you look like a kiss ass. If you ask my permission to do something and I say no and then you do it anyways I would think you are more of an asshole than had you not asked at all. Two adults getting married need no ones blessing or permission especially if neither of them are even under their parents roofs anymore. If they as a couple want to ask for a blessing or opinion on their marriage more power to them but if my significant other did this it would prove he didnt know me or my family at all and Id think he was the one with some issues not my dad.

I consider myself a feminist and I'm pretty progressive, but I would find it sweet if my boyfriend asked permission. To me it's no different than saying "bless you" when I sneeze, even though I'm not religious. Some traditions are just nice. I suppose it comes down to how the gf in question feels about it - if she is touched by the gesture that's all that matters.

I understand the father's argument (after all, the tradition DOES come from the fact that in the past women had literally no say on whether they wanted to marry or not, it was usually a contract between their father and the potential groom), but I'm having a feeling that he is using it as an excuse to be nasty to you.

I would do exactly the same thing if I were her dad. I also would never marry someone who asked for my father's permission OR blessing.

I agree with the dad actually... Why would you need permission to marry a girl ? It does not make any sense nowadays. I get that it´s just a tradition, but maybe some traditions don't deserve to be kept alive... Might be because nobody does that where I'm from, so I really don't see the point. And what if you're a lesbian couple ? Are you supposed to ask for permission twice ?

Luckily, people who do know why one would do this and do get the point, don't really need permission from other people to do this. You don't need to understand some traditions for them to be kept alive. If you don't agree with them, fine, but it still doesn't merit a response like this... And his reasoning makes no sense either.

DasHaas 9

I like this dad already. :) He seems to be more with the times than what I'm assuming is a younger OP.