Property dispute

By Anonymous - 19/01/2014 22:59 - United States - Dallas

Today, I asked my girlfriend's dad for permission to take her hand in marriage. He said no, because he doesn't want her marrying a "sexist idiot who treats her like property", which he thinks asking permission amounts to, then told me to grow up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 812
You deserved it 11 954

Same thing different taste

Top comments

P_M95 8

If she truly loves you she shouldn't care what her parents think. As long as you are an honest nice guy.

hazardmuffin 21

Asking for his blessing would be respecting his view. Asking for permission makes it sound like his daughter's choice isn't really hers, which is where the "tradition" came from. Back when women really DIDN'T have that choice.

Comments

buttcramp 21

I feel like her dad could have been so much nicer while voicing this opinion.. its not his opinion that's wrong (cause he's entitled to have it) its the way he went about expressing it. Sorry for the bullshit.. hope she says yes and it all blows over!

an3ph 20

You sound like a decent guy with a lot of respect for both her and her father. Please proceed with the course you decide is best, despite his irrational views. You did the right thing to ask him, but now the choice is between you and your intended. May you have a very happy life together.

YellowKettleBell 31

Consider this: her values are influenced by her parents'. When you marry her, you marry into her family as well. "Father-in-law" means that he is a second father, by means of the law.

How does a no even work there? "No, you can't have this because I have no right to give it to you... wait..."

Drian91800 7

It was the respectable/ honorable thing to do, her father is just in some sort of denial.

Powerage66 16

OP, you did the right thing. We need more people like you in this world.

Angela1991 10

Ya,... He's an idiot. He should happy you asked like a gentleman instead going behind his back like coward. Most dads pray their daughters chose men like you.

kenzierai 8

I think it would have sounded better if you asked for his blessing not permission. But in all it was really sweet what you did. I don't know why people act like it's a terrible thing saying that by you asking is making her property. When it comes to the wedding day the father is the one walking her down the isle and "giving" her away to you. I think it was great what you did and maybe your girlfriend liked you asking to.

Seriously. I think this dad is being an asshole.