Property dispute

By Anonymous - 19/01/2014 22:59 - United States - Dallas

Today, I asked my girlfriend's dad for permission to take her hand in marriage. He said no, because he doesn't want her marrying a "sexist idiot who treats her like property", which he thinks asking permission amounts to, then told me to grow up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 812
You deserved it 11 954

Same thing different taste

Top comments

P_M95 8

If she truly loves you she shouldn't care what her parents think. As long as you are an honest nice guy.

hazardmuffin 21

Asking for his blessing would be respecting his view. Asking for permission makes it sound like his daughter's choice isn't really hers, which is where the "tradition" came from. Back when women really DIDN'T have that choice.

Comments

I wouldn't wanna be apart of that family..

well technically he has given you his consent...by telling you that you should not require his consent... congratulations btw :)

Dawnstempest 17

The Dad sounds like a annoying person. I know I would appreciate it if my significant other went to my parents and said "I'd like to marry your Son, are you okay with it?" as it shows my significant other values my parents good opinion just as much as I do. It isn't a question of property so much as politeness. You aren't signing a deed in which the younger generation has no consent. You are just making sure the parents don't hate and resent you as a matter of politeness -- because if they DO hate any resent you it doesn't matter because they should want what is best for their kid. And if they are happy then too bad. But in the end asking for permission is the kindest and most polite thing to do and shows respect for the parents -- without whom the person you want to marry wouldn't be alive.

There are other ways to go about pre - marital conversations, which is the point. "I really love your daughter and I want to ask her to marry me" broaches the topic much more effectively and still shows the same respect. No one is saying "Pop the question and never talk to her family about it."

I totally agree with her dad and think you should stop taking your social cues from rom-coms and Facegrandma--or whatever place people stare at to absorb ass-backward views on whose permission you really need to marry a girl, hers or her father's. That said, I'm sure you were trying to come across as "cute and respectful" rather than "outdated sexist." So FYL and learn something. Hope your actual proposal goes better.

I'm sure you meant well OP but I agree with the father on this one. I would've been so upset if my husband had asked my dad's PERMISSION. He doesn't make decisions for me. Including him on the proposal plans would've been a better idea.

ShannonBitt 29

I'd go with asking for his blessing, rather than his permission. Try clarifying to him that you only meant it as a tradition and seeing if he found you suitable for his daughter.

"Permission" is rather outdated. Most often nowadays it's asking for the father's blessing.

I also agree with the dad. It was pretty much a property transaction back when that was relevant. Nowadays people that feel the need to appear 'sweet and traditional' ask for their blessing. It was a stupid move OP, I can't speak for every woman out there but I would be incredibly offended if my partner did that. Who I marry is my choice, not my family's and even though he said no I assume you're still going to marry her. What's the point of 'asking permission' if you're just going to do it anyway? It was incredibly disrespectful of your girlfriend and her family.

skittyskatbrat 19

Sometimes you can't win for losing. And it's a father's last chance to try and prevent their daughter from marrying someone they've spotted to be a really, really poor choice (abusive, drunk, philandering, etc.). But I hope he doesn't expect to walk her down the aisle. That's also archaic. He gets to sit in the pews and watch, with all the other guests! BTW, one of my brother-in-laws asked...while Dad was carrying a loaded shotgun and they were out in the middle of nowhere quail hunting! Gotta give him points for guts. And a better response for that Dad? "You have my blessing to ask my daughter."