Property dispute

By Anonymous - 19/01/2014 22:59 - United States - Dallas

Today, I asked my girlfriend's dad for permission to take her hand in marriage. He said no, because he doesn't want her marrying a "sexist idiot who treats her like property", which he thinks asking permission amounts to, then told me to grow up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 812
You deserved it 11 954

Same thing different taste

Top comments

P_M95 8

If she truly loves you she shouldn't care what her parents think. As long as you are an honest nice guy.

hazardmuffin 21

Asking for his blessing would be respecting his view. Asking for permission makes it sound like his daughter's choice isn't really hers, which is where the "tradition" came from. Back when women really DIDN'T have that choice.

Comments

InnocentMalice 12

Just marry her! You wanted to be kind and it failed. Her father don't like you, If you love her, this won't stop you.

Dam, there may be another reason then. Perhaps he blurted that out as a cover, when he couldn't think of anything else to say. That, or this father is unreasonable. A third possibility is that he believes in things, actions, or words that came from you came across as that. Possibly talk to the man and try to get things sorted out. Hopefully, things will improve.

If you open doors for women only, does it mean that you only respect them and not the men? I understand now that gallantry = misandry!

Whow, OP, I seriously don't understand why you did that : While proposing to a woman there is always the risk that the answer will be a big "NO", and now you just doubled that risk! Think strategy, not tradition! More seriously, OP, i hope you did talk about marriage with your girlfriend before talking to her father : - what if he had said yes, and then you propose and she says no ? The feeling will be awkward with her family after that, maybe she will be pressured by her parents to say yes (if they really like you), or they will look at you suspiciously, wondering why their beloved daughter does'nt want to marry you (did he cheat, was he mean with her ?). And now that he said no (in fact, more like "be an adult you don't need my permission"), if she says no... would be humiliating for you and the feeling even more awkward with her familly....

Stupid reaction from her father. But, in hindsight, to say "I'm not asking for your permission we are hoping for your approval." Ending the sentence with "Asshole" is optional on your part. And possibly, "I didn't ask your permission to **** her so what makes you think I need your permission to marry her?" Lots of options, eh?

We don't know if he ****** her. Maybe they wanted to wait until after marriage. Seeing how traditional he is, it's a possibility.

Casseopeia 21

My mom always told me that the guy needs to ask for their blessing because permission means they can say no.

That means you should go for it, if he doesn't want you asking his permission

**** him then and go marry her anyways. He's an asshole for not seeing your attempt as a sign of respect.

It's a sign that he respects her father more than he respects her. That's the whole problem in a nutshell.

It only matters what she says. Not what her family thinks. If she loves you and you love her you guys will find a way to spend the rest of your life's together.