Misunderstanding

By vanessa_d15 - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - Canada

Today, I was together with a few of my friends when I got up the courage to confess I have an eating disorder. One of my friends then said "... but you're not skinny." FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 108
You deserved it 6 735

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's when you say to her, "and you're not intelligent."

...your friend sounds like a lovely person.

Comments

ozymandias_fml 0

Busted. If you are going to pretend to have a fake problem just to get attention, you ought to at least try and look the part.

#48 is the most rational comment on this FML.

I know, I agree with this all the way. I hat those eating disorder posers.

You accused my argument of being weak for answering your question with a question? Maybe she simply needs the suport her friends can give her, most people simply don't have the strength to deal with all of lifes hardships alone, i know someone such as yourself must consider that pathetic but thats life

Feminist you're a dumbass For one, if i had a friend who was struggling through something i would want him/her to talk to me because it is a proven fact that when you talk out your problems or share how you feel is always healthier than trying to deal with problems alone. I can post all the studies done on it if you want me to. Second, She has a freaking eating disorder and many times friends like to go out and eat together and do stuff and when she either makes excuses not to go or just talks about food all the time or something that can either get annoying for them or they might get offended so it's better for them to know why she is either ignoring the dine outs with them or why food is always on her mind. It's not just about the eating out part, but with eating disorders people also feel like they need to hide and don't like to go out at all. So friends might be curious to why they're always being ditched or ignored. btw you must be a sucky friend and a sucky person if you feel that it's so stressful to just be a good listener when someone needs to get their feelings out and just need someone to talk to. Plus people don't automatically trust doctors and strangers with their problems like that so it's better to talk to a friend about it because that is someone to feel comfortable around and then from there either with the encouragement of the friend or by getting use to speaking about your feelings, a person can move on to a doctor/psych.

letitbe56 0

Guys, can you click reply rather than writing whole new posts? That way those who want to follow the argument can and those who don't want to can just scroll through it.

it would be easier to talk to a doctor/professional about this than to your friends? they are experts in this area and her friends are just regular people with no idea how to handle the situation or help her. i'm just saying they will just be either worrying about her and unable to help or will become very awkward around, sometimes its best to deal with things privately. and your right i am "a very sucky friend", thanks for that important observation, as for the dumbass remark, whats is your problem you ********

You didn't think to ask, check my name, i'm a psychologist. And info bomb for you it's much easier to deal with the problem of any mental disorder including eating disorders if you admit you have it to your friends and family and they support you through the process of ridding yourself of it. While i agree this girl needs profesional help it wouldn't suprise me if she was already getting it and her doctor/psychologist hadn't suggested to her that she tell her friends as that would be a standard step to take. And you clearly have an attitude problem, chill out

Not registered yet if im honest that takes a LONG time, i'm training to be a cognitive/behavioural clinical therapist. Still, i had an assignment on anorexia and bulimia nervosa last year, which i submited and got high marks for. And even if i hadn't, i think it's safe to say unles your folowing the same or similar career path you should go shush now, even the laymen see the flaw in your argument. Your clearly an angry girl with a lot of hatred inside for the people around you, why are you so determined to be independant, nobody can stand alone their entire life, why do you think jobs in therapy even exist.

Yes! A fellow Psych-in-training! *high-fives*

Ever stop and think that maybe you're not skinny? Get over it. You're not a snowflake.

Panther_fml 0

This showed up twice! there must be a glitch in the FML system!

actually letitbe56 if your posting from the iPhone u can't reply to other ppl 's comments, just tried it myself. feminist, i'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. True friends usually want to support each other when they are going through tough times, so it's not wierd or messed up that she would let them know about her eating disorder. I know that with my good friends we always tell each other when were going through tough times and support each other. that's what friends are for

rachel_parker 0

Aw, I'm sorry to hear. That's horrible. Get better friends is my advice.

I highly doubt this is fake, since I've experienced it. Looking back, I know that I was actually TOO skinny (93 lbs as a fourteen year old?! Not skinny?!) but at the time, I thought they were right and kept "dieting." OP, there WILL be people to help you out. You just have to find them... and then lose the people that did that to you.

lem0n_fml 0

No one ever said this was fake. I find it sad that people on FML immediately resort to debating whether an FML is fake or not now, even when no one has accused the OP of lying. And even if it WAS fake, who cares. This is a website. Built for entertainment. Because, sadly, people find enjoyment in other people's misery.

mj2123 0

Actually yes, someone did call this fake.

xxAdriixx 0

Well... maybe she meant that you weren't overly skinny like most people assume everyone with an eating disorder is? Or maybe she's just a bitch. I don't know her, so I can't say. But anyways... to all the people hating on the friend--don't. You don't know her. You don't know if she meant it in a mean way or if it was an accidental slip--maybe she didn't know how to respond to finding out that a friend of hers has an eating disorder and she worded things wrong. Don't act like you always know the right thing to say and the right way to say it, because mistakes happen. Maybe she meant it how it sounded, maybe she didn't. I doubt any of you know the girl in question... so... "I spoke my mind and tried to be respectful."

letitbe56 0

I agree. The friend should never have said that given that people with eating disorders are very sensitive to feedback about their bodies, but I can totally imagine a scenario in which she wasn't calling the OP fat, especially if she doesn't realize that people can have eating disorders without being clinically underweight. She just may have been surprised or upset that she hadn't noticed, or even confused if what the OP said didn't fit with her understanding of what an eating disorder is.