Misunderstanding

By vanessa_d15 - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - Canada

Today, I was together with a few of my friends when I got up the courage to confess I have an eating disorder. One of my friends then said "... but you're not skinny." FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 108
You deserved it 6 735

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's when you say to her, "and you're not intelligent."

...your friend sounds like a lovely person.

Comments

wazdog 4

Most people think eating disorders are just for skinny anorexic chicks because the disorder of eating too much has become normal.

Your friend sounds mean and ignorant. Try explaining to her though; it was tactless to say, but maybe she doesn't know anything about eating disorders. But don't try explaining if you don't feel like sharing or confiding in her, because you would regret confiding in her. I had an eating disorder too; it sucks, and so does the aftermath. Get help. *hugs*

No. Time for talking is past. **** punt that bitch. "Explain? I think not. 'POW'"!

peroxideprincess 0

guys, not all people who have eating disorders have to be skinny... it's either they eat way too much...or they decide to starve themselves or force themselves to throw up what they ate because they think they're too fat. and OP i'm sorry about that, i think your "friend" is such a bitch. just sayin'

happyvalleygirl 0

/facepalm a) Typically if you have this kind of disorder, you're in denial and/or don't want help. She could have some destructive tendencies because she wants attention, whereas actual anorexics want to control something in their lives and have a really ****** up body image. b) You can still eat very few calories a day and become malnourished if you're overweight, but the actual diagnosis is to be 85% of the healthy weight, and you have to have missed three straight periods. c) She could also be bulimic and/or a binge eater.

The diagnosis does not specify needing to miss 3 periods. There is another diagnoses called "eating disorder unclassified" which is neither anorexia or bulimia but often has traits of both. As well as eventually many of them do acknowledge there's a problem and seek help, not every single person suffering from this mental illness is going to deny it forever. OP your friends a dick... talk to a doctor, support group, or a more caring friend. It takes time but you can fix this before it causes major damage

Your friends are stupid! If you need someone to help you get through your eating disorder I would try to talk to a shrink instead of relying on your friends.

To #17 -- I'm assuming that she's bulimic, as more people are bulimic than anorexic, and apparently she's not scaryskinny. Anorexia is the more known disorder, because it makes more "sense," but bulimia is so much harder to tell and therefore more people have it. Also let's not forget EDNOS...

girlygirl666 0

Many people have EDNOS without even knowing it. It doesn't even cause a problem, for the most part, and usually corrects itself with minor life changes.

Darksect0r13 0

An acronym for Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

letitbe56 0

EDNOS certainly does cause problems. It's hard to predict what, though, because if, for example, you fit all the definitions of anorexia but you're not clinically underweight, that's EDNOS. Or it could just mean that you're unhealthily obsessed with eating "healthily." Binge eating disorder technically falls under EDNOS as well.

Mx_Rider 6

rofl bahahahahahahaah #1, by far the most lamest "first" ive seen yet. ive been first but never took it to that... " o m g" level :)

perdix 29

You should have told the friend that your eating disorder isn't anorexia or bulimia, it's that you can't stop eating her boyfriend's junk.

girlygirl666 0
Flutist 3

Wow, I am sorry Op. Eating disorders are hard enough to defeat without the negativity of "friends." I hope you overcome this without losing your sense of self. I am proud of you for seeking help. Just don't be a loser and use this as an excuse not to take control of your life and live it well. No sense in letting friends bring you down. You need to understand your own body and your own self.