Misunderstanding

By vanessa_d15 - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - Canada

Today, I was together with a few of my friends when I got up the courage to confess I have an eating disorder. One of my friends then said "... but you're not skinny." FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 108
You deserved it 6 735

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's when you say to her, "and you're not intelligent."

...your friend sounds like a lovely person.

Comments

Her friends an idiot, everyone knows obesitys the biggest eating disorder

mj2123 0

"Obesity" is not an eating disorder in and of itself. Binge eating is an eating disorder that may or may not cause someone to be considered medically obese.

Erm no pun intended there btw, just kinda realised that. And im not suggesting the OP's obese, just that her friends an ignorant bitch

You should have looked at her and said.. "Well I may be fat but you're ugly, at least I CAN diet" Eating disorders are not fun or healthy, I hope you get the help you need.

why did you tell you decide to just randomly blurt it out to your friends, what were you expecting them to do for you, force feed you? deal with it privately, its your problem not theirs, dont burden them with it?

You obviously don't know what friends are

what are they people who will force feed her? or prevent her from getting sick after eating, no she has to do it herself with professional help

whoa, whoa, whoa. HOW THE **** can you call yourself a FEMINIST if your advice is to deal with an EATING DISORDER PRIVATELY. you stupid ****! you give feminists a bad name.

greenfairy_fml 0

wtf? deal with it yourself? If you believe that, you're neither a feminist nor a good human being.

CK1_fml 0

Dear OP, Please seek out immediate professional help for your disorder. I have extensive experience dealing with this issue through a former girlfriend of mine, whom I helped get into rehab for her disorder. Please know, this is very serious. Eating disorders are often fatal, but are normally not reported as such because they create causes of death such as renal failure and heart failure. This is especially true in the case of bulimia, where frequent vomiting may destroy electrolyte imbalance, which acts as a "spark plug" of sorts to keep your heart regulated. If you are in college, there are generally programs available on campuses that can help. Please also see a counselor who is SPECIFICALLY TRAINED in this issue. These people tend to also deal with addiction issues, as eating discorders, sex addiction and alcohol and drug addiction and abuse tend to be related in causation and sometimes are comorbid. Here is a link to one of the premiere treatment facilities in the country- http://www.rosewoodranch.com/ They are a very good inpatient and outpatient resource, and someone there could probably help you if you gave them a call. You did a very brave thing telling your friends. Please do not be discouraged; people rarely understand the addictive tendencies of these disorders. Please know, that is not your fault, there is a chemical and social mechanism at work in you that does not exist in most people. I guarantee, however, the same thoughts and reactiosn taht trigger your disorder are shared by other people with the same disorder. They are universal among the disease. You can take charge of your recovery through seeking the advice a medical and psychological professional to alter those influences. It does work; I've seen it. Best of luck to you.

So then your saying that friends arn't allowed to know because they can't help? Maybe she just, wanted them to know? She didn't say she was fishing for sympathy

so then what is the benefit of her friends knowing?

Support, maybe? Everything I've ever heard and/or read about eating disorders has said that a good support system is a must if the person wants to recover.

I think that this is a recycled FML, but whatever. Good luck with your ED.

they now have the burden of having to worry about her without being able to do anything about it, she needs proffesional help, they cant do anything, your arguement is so weak you can only answer my questions with a question back

So if you have friends and you're not supportive of one another, what the heck is that like? Friends would be there to offer helpful suggestions, encouragement, and resources. If it's a group of friends, one's bound to know where good help is located. One might have an eating disorder herself (they're really common). Friends are there so when the person needs help, she can call and say, "Hey, I've got a lot on my mind and was just wondering if I could talk to you for a bit." The friends might not need to say or do anything; just listening itself works wonders. Keeping it inside is the worst thing to do, especially with eating disorders. Without an adequate support system, chances of recovery are very slim.

My arguments weak when your so insicure about your own you have to attack mine to justify it? Maybe her friends can support her, or cheer her up, or at the very least now they know she's going to see her doctor and not blowing them off when she says she can't come to the mall. Your friends are suposed to be there for you in anyway they can be, whether they can really help or not, knowing they have your back makes a huge differance. If one of my friends had a problem half as serious as the OPs im damn sure i would want to know even if all i could do was worry about them, it's called caring about somebody. Do you even have any friends?

i didnt attack yours you commented on my post first? if she cared about them she wouldnt want them needlessly worrying about her? yes i have friends, well done.

Harry_Poochi 0

My *argument's* weak when *you're* so *insecure* about your own you have to attack mine to justify it? Maybe her friends can support her, or cheer her up, or at the very least now they know she's going to see her doctor and not blowing them off when she says she can't come to the mall. Your friends are *supposed* to be there for you in anyway they can be, whether they can really help or not, knowing they have your back makes a huge *difference.* If one of my friends had a problem half as serious as the OPs *I'm* damn sure *I* would want to know even if all * could do was worry about them, it's called caring about somebody. Do you even have any friends? Love, GrammerNazey

LOL... You fail. Not only do you go around not posting anything relevant to the topic at hand, but you're sole purpose was to attack someone else's grammar. Besides the fact that you missed many grammatical errors in the post you attempted to correct (like run-ons), you're an idiot for not knowing how to spell. It's GrammarNazi, not GrammerNazey. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for the Nazey part (maybe you were trying to be cute and ended up failing), but only a person who doesn't know better says "grammer." Is that someone who weighs things in grams? @OP Their honesty doesn't mean that they don't support you. Clearly, you fail at having an eating disorder, so you should try not having one and see how that works out for you again. And obviously, we are not talking about something along the lines of anorexia nervosa, bulimia, and binge-eating rather than "I can't even purple foods."

Harry_Poochi 0

You see, there is this thing called irony. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=irony There you go. And I was just fixing spelling/grammar. Correcting run-ons and what-not is too much effort. Oh, and by the way, it's "but *your* sole purpose." Love, GrammerNazey

"Clearly, you fail at having an eating disorder, so you should try not having one and see how that works out for you again." Psychology FAIL. Geez, those of you thinking that an eating disorder is something you can turn on and off: if that's how it worked, people wouldn't have eating disorders. They're miserable, damaging, sometimes fatal... no one would choose a life like that. You're talking about a serious illness like it's a sport or something. Go educate yourself.

13929jje 0

OP, I know it was the last thing you wanted to hear from your friends but many people think you have to be skinny to have an eating disorder; its what your friend may only know about eating disorders. Explain to her what is happening to you, and no doubt she will support you. She will learn and you will gain valuable support. If she doesn't support you, or refuse to learn and help there is plenty more support out there. Get to a doctor/counsellor/help group. You're not alone in this although you may feel that you are. I wish you the very best, good luck OP.