Misunderstanding

By vanessa_d15 - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - Canada

Today, I was together with a few of my friends when I got up the courage to confess I have an eating disorder. One of my friends then said "... but you're not skinny." FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 108
You deserved it 6 735

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's when you say to her, "and you're not intelligent."

...your friend sounds like a lovely person.

Comments

Derek321 2

List your height and weight: If you're not underweight, proper fasting and calorie restriction is extremely good for your health. -Ty

marshmallowmouse 0

FYFL - **** your friend's life. For being an airhead. How does this affect you, though? Don't you know your own weight, wasn't that what you were admitting to?

bandaidface 0

This kind of stuff pisses me off. I've spent years in therapy: residential treatment centers, wilderness, psych unit, etc, and have had dozens of friends who have had eating disorders. Of all sizes. Bulimia rarely causes you to lose much weight- in many cases you actually gain because the system is screwed up. Binge eating, etc- those usually lead to weight gain. Several of my friends can't have children, one nearly needed a transplant, and one died. An eating disorder IS serious, and more people should realize that you can be of average weight or even overweight while having a life-threatening disorder.

Flutist 3

Thank you for sharing something that seems painful.

HAHAHAHA, that is actually hilarious xD

Ah quit being emo! No one cares except some shrink you pay to care!!! Most mental illnesses are made up to sell fear and pills to the masses! Eating disorder?!! Give me frickin break! Its called diet if your fat and eat if your skinny!!! DUH!!!

xxAdriixx 0

...wow. Really? ._. I hate people like you... No offense, of course...wait, no. offense intended. >_

You've obviously lived a very sheltered life, 146.

Oh i'm so sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is to tell somebody about an eating disorder. I just did it about a month ago. The problem is, is that you have to 1.) find somebody who you know you can trust and isn't a close minded person 2.) Be prepared for them to not understand. It's a very hard thing for somebody to grasp the whole idea of starvation, binging or purging, or just binging. And for those who are close minded and aren't being very kind...Please understand that there are more eating disorders than just anorexia, and bulimia. There is also binge eating disorder, where a person eats more than an average amount of food, orthorexia, where a person is extremely healthy in what they eat and will not have things such as maybe red meats, carbs, fats etc... Anorexia is more than just starving yourself, all eating disorders go deeper than just feeling a certain way about your body and the way you eat, it's psycological. The way a suffer acts out is the way they deal with those psycological issues. Bulimics usually are a bit overweight because of all the binging and purging, although those who purge everything out may become extremely thin. Please realise that to you it may seem stupid, but those harsh judgements are what keep so many people in hiding and they die from it. It is so hard to have somebody know because you don't want to be classified as "The Anorexic" or "The Bulimic" or "The binger". One of the major reasons a person with an eating disorder, especially anorexia is that they are so afraid that what happened to OP will happen to them, they won't be sick enough, or thin enough. You can't fit into your eating disorder, you can be 300 lbs and still be anorexic. So please, think before you judge.

I love that some of you actually know what you're talking about. I love that the rest of you make less sense than /b on a bad day.

In my experience, eating disorders can also be more about control than actual weight. Bulimia is a particularly vicious cycle. One starves or binges and purges to control that aspect of his/her life, drops some weight, and feels in control. But once the body "catches on" and goes into survival mode, the weight loss stops. The bulimic again feels a loss of control, resulting in more extreme behavior. It's not unlike drug addiction-- looking for that first high again till you end up ODed.