Explain like they're 5 year-olds

By Anonymous - 05/09/2013 06:57 - United States - Tallahassee

Today, I was asked to dumb myself down so the people I was training could comprehend what I was saying. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 765
You deserved it 7 012

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Look, if you're trying to teach preschoolers what the difference between a prepositional phrase and a subordinate clause is, you're going about this wrong.

Comments

Wizardo 33

Hence the 'training', by the time you're done with them you'll have made men out of them right OP?

I don't think they're quite as swift as a coursing river.

jw90 18

It does get slightly annoying when you have to bring yourself down to someone else's level for them to understand you. Be patient with them and hopefully they'll catch up.

challan 19

Businesses are hiring uneducated, unintelligent, unmotivated people to do the job at half the pay rate. The turn over is insane, but even with the cost of training, they are saving millions. Yes, I'm having difficulty finding a job after graduation, can you tell?!!

TheDrifter 23

It's getting insane. Half the new hires are entirely unmotivated and incompetent and the motivated, but inexperienced new graduates have entirely unreasonable expectations. I was hiring a payroll clerk this year and I got applicants all the way from visibly stoned high school drop outs to a young lady who just got her MBA. Talented, motivated, been looking for work for 2 years... Wouldn't take less than 90K a year.

challan 19

I'll take gas money, and free lunch. I'm starvin' like Marvin.

You mean idiocy. Ironically, 'Idiocracy', while an excellent movie, is not in fact a word.

I'm pretty sure #15 was making a reference to the movie (prophecy) about stupid people taking over the world because they breed more than smart people. Which has been scientifically proven, by the way. By you, just now.

RedPillSucks 31

No such thing has been proven. What was shown was that the wealthy countries have a lower birth rate than the less well off country. This has nothing to do with intelligence.

There have been studies that show women with Master Degrees and Doctorates usually have less children than those with Bachelor degrees or lower. Then again it is not that surprising as dropping out of Graduate school because you had a kid is a lot more expensive than dropping out of high school or undergraduate school because you had a kid.

RedPillSucks 31

typically because they postpone raising a child until their careers are more established. This doesn't mean these women are smarter. This typically means they have access to more opportunities to further themselves. Better opportunities doesn't imply greater intelligence. There are plenty of smart people who don't have as much opportunity to further their education or careers.

TheDrifter 23

Statistically, women who score below average in middle school have more children than their peers at the top of the class and the margin only widens as income levels go down.

I'm sure it's annoying, but your job is to train them. How can you do accomplish when they don't understand you? And if you hate it, you could always try applying for another job.

How can you accomplish that* sorry, guys.

YDI for having this attitude. As a trainer you should be able to transfer your knowledge and not look down on them.

Really? The people she's training need to be able to understand what she's teaching, presumably because they will use that information to complete some sort of task. So if they aren't smart enough to understand that information, you think that's OP's fault for an elitist attitude? **** that, and **** you. You and your stupid point of view are EXACTLY why the world is getting dumber. If you set the bar low, you'll get poor results every time.

Sorry, I misread the initial FML (did not realize that OP was forced to "dumb down").

Right. I may have over-reacted slightly, but my point remains. The fact that you're getting thumbed up and I'm getting thumbed down only proves my point. The world is getting dumber and people are ok with that as long as no one gets offended. THAT is offensive to me.

It's rare I disagree with DocBastard in fact I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever disagreed but it isn't clear what kind of training OP is providing we can't assume that the course requires prior knowledge of the subject. Generally if an entire group is failing to understand something, that points to the teacher not doing their job properly not the students being stupid. Maybe OP wasn't explaining new concepts thoroughly enough so in her mind she is "dumbing down" but in reality she's just being more clear?

TheDrifter 23

I see 2 sides of this. Like Doc, dumbing down the world to avoid offending people annoys the hell out of me, but the inverse, where people are deliberately obtuse, use vague terminology and obscure, intentionally near incomprehensible vocabulary in an effort to elevate themselves, believing that their field of education makes them intellectually superior to everyone around them makes me want to suffocate them with their own genitals.

You should be able to explain it simply, even if it's complicated. That's what makes a good teacher

RedPillSucks 31

@48 Suffocate them with their own genitals? Damn. Remind me never to get on your bad side. I suppose the women are safe.

caitiebug1119 15

I know you thinks it sucks, and I bet it does, but the new people have no idea what you mean when you use technical jargon on the first day. Let them focus on knowing how to do something and get comfortable with the job, then tell them what those big words meant.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

I love Einstein. So many things he's quoted as saying are spot on.

Indulge yourself for a second and pat yourself on the back then dumb down your vocabulary. You are there to teach and will be a failure if they don't learn. Teach on their level unless you have the time to bring them up to your level.

Talking over the head of your audience does NOT make you smart.