Explain like they're 5 year-olds

By Anonymous - 05/09/2013 06:57 - United States - Tallahassee

Today, I was asked to dumb myself down so the people I was training could comprehend what I was saying. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 765
You deserved it 7 012

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Look, if you're trying to teach preschoolers what the difference between a prepositional phrase and a subordinate clause is, you're going about this wrong.

Comments

I'm not sure if this is an fml. Sometimes people try and explain things too in depth.

friedpwnadge 25

But apparently it can affect your job.

3, No you can't. At my last job, I was required, quite often, to send emails out to all 200+ employees, nationwide. My boss took me to the side, after I had sent out my third one, and said I needed to word the emails as if a five-year-old was reading them. Apparently, an employee freaked out because she didn't know the difference bewteen "advice" and "advise." Sadly, that was just one of the hundreds of reasons. Ugh!

If we can't fix stupid, what is the "No Child Left Behind" policy going to help with?

They should learn YOUR vocabulary. You shouldn't have to dumb down to them!

The OP's job is to train them. If she is talking over their heads she's not training them, so she's not doing her job.

For all we know, OP could be using advanced technical terms or words that people don't . Instead of saying that people should take notes of what they are saying with pen or pencil to be able to remember it later, OP could be saying "You should inscribe this correspondence with the writing implement of your desires to enhance your ability to recall the things I have instilled later."

Actually yes, OP should make it simpler. It's their job to teach, not pontify fancy jargon over people's heads. That requires keeping with the students' pace.

I guess my only thought is... does OP use the same language for posting and teaching?

ThatFancyPenn 18

No I think that OP should dumb things down because they're paying to be trained, so they'd expect the best out of it.

It's going to lower the bar to the stupid.

Look, if you're trying to teach preschoolers what the difference between a prepositional phrase and a subordinate clause is, you're going about this wrong.

or teach a preschooler how to prove the Mean Value Theorem

ElementaryEdGuy 18

Actually, I think that's in the new common core standards. :P

I understand how you feel, but you have to learn your audience. It will make you a better teacher and trainer... and perhaps better at your own job. It may suck now, but it will payoff in the end.

Really depends on what you have to teach them and who it is that needs teaching...

lonewolf658 6

Don't sweat it OP, they should expand their inadequate vocabulary

ohro 10

Maybe you guys should find new people to train that don't need to have someone "dumb down" to understand

Nothing like intellectual snobbery. Not everyone is intelligent as you but the point is they're on some sort of training or education course with you so they're trying to learn. Maybe give them a little more credit and respect instead of making fun of them for being stupid? No?