Explain like they're 5 year-olds

By Anonymous - 05/09/2013 06:57 - United States - Tallahassee

Today, I was asked to dumb myself down so the people I was training could comprehend what I was saying. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 765
You deserved it 7 012

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Look, if you're trying to teach preschoolers what the difference between a prepositional phrase and a subordinate clause is, you're going about this wrong.

Comments

Opsofficer 2

Yeah that has happened to me about a lot also.

liquidpwnage 15

Some people are just not worth interacting with. The same thing happened to me with some dumb dlut from my high school.

This does not seem unreasonable. The whole reason people are in training is because they do not understand the things that you already know! You need to slow down sometimes because the things that are easy for you are foreign to people you are teaching. That's your whole job in this case.

I do not think you being smart is an FML.

I would take that as a compliment. It means you are smart.

petergozinya37 8

The entire point of teaching is to present information at a level appropriate for your students. It is far from a compliment that you had to be told that you need to properly gauge the needs of your audience.

some trainers cannot talk plain english and sometimes forget that business lingo is only known to those who work there so i understand

I'm sorry, but this is common sense. If it's your job to train people, you can't expect them to be at your level of expertise. I'm a nurse, and sure I can wow my rehab patients and their families with a whole lot of medical jargon, but my teaching is guaranteed to confuse rather than prepare them for what they need to do when they get home. That could be very harmful if they misunderstood what I'm trying to teach them to do. 'Keep it simple, stupid' is a valuable phrase when teaching anyone. Assume nothing!