A new day, a new dawn…

By therapy works - 11/08/2023 18:00

Today, I finally had a breakthrough in therapy and got some much needed clarity in my life. After breaking away from the fear-based religious indoctrination that I’d been force-fed my entire life, I came to the conclusion that I regret every decision I’ve ever made, including the husband I accepted. FML
I agree, your life sucks 857
You deserved it 183

Same thing different taste

Top comments

that sucks for both of you but leave him immediately! you don't owe anybody your happiness especially someone who definitely assisted in your indoctrination!

It’s never too late to start making new decisions. Make them for yourself this time, and not because you got forced to.

Comments

that sucks for both of you but leave him immediately! you don't owe anybody your happiness especially someone who definitely assisted in your indoctrination!

It’s never too late to start making new decisions. Make them for yourself this time, and not because you got forced to.

Gotta ask - were you Mormon or Jehovah’s Witness? That sound so much par for those. Either way an ex-Mormon is sending you vibes and a wish for a good divorce lawyer.

Wadlaen 23

I'm sorry to hear that, and for the situation you're in, but it seems like things could have been changed to the better a while back, from the wording of your FML: 'The husband you accepted' rather than 'The husband you chose'...

It sounds like you were pressured into excepting your husband, not marrying a guy you actually love. You should have a serious think and long talk with your therapist about divorce. Don't make any decisions until you have fully stabilised from your revelations but if you don't love him then you are doing a disservice to the both of you. There's no guilt about the fact that your life paths have simply diverged. But be sure in yourself before deciding anything though. 🫂

Sure, it's unfortunate that you didn't have these realizations sooner - ideally before, like, legally-binding paperwork was signed and ceremonies performed (and possibly kids tying you to him, though you don't mention them specifically). But the good news is that you have no obligation to stay in any relationship (romantic or otherwise) that you don't want to be in. You don't have to stay on the path your life has been on thus far in any way (I mean, aside from the aforementioned possible kids... those do involve a certain amount of responsibility if you're not a complete dick). Yes, it's not as easy to change tracks as it might have been before, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. And I imagine, that whatever obstacles there are, it'll be worthwhile for you to start doing things that you yourself are specifically interested in.