Baby baby

By Anonymous - 12/12/2023 23:00 - United Kingdom

Today, my wife and I have been in the same massive argument for two weeks. We agreed when we were dating that we couldn’t think of anything worse than having kids, we married on the basis we would never want kids. Now, a year later, she wants a baby. FML
I agree, your life sucks 933
You deserved it 198

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Time to start divorce proceedings. I know it will be difficult, but I don't see how either of you will be happy going forward. Someone is going to have to make a huge sacrifice to keep the marriage going; as a result, there will undoubtedly always be a level of resentment towards the other.

You need to find a family with multiple kids under 6 and volunteer your wife as a babysitter for a full weekend. Either she'll have a renewed strength of argument, or she'll realize reality & fantasy are vastly different.

Comments

Time to start divorce proceedings. I know it will be difficult, but I don't see how either of you will be happy going forward. Someone is going to have to make a huge sacrifice to keep the marriage going; as a result, there will undoubtedly always be a level of resentment towards the other.

You need to find a family with multiple kids under 6 and volunteer your wife as a babysitter for a full weekend. Either she'll have a renewed strength of argument, or she'll realize reality & fantasy are vastly different.

Baby sitting someone else's kid/s is nothing like having your own baby. Someone you give birth to, take care of and love. Not saying that having kids is always easy. But it has nothing to do with babysitting

Unfortunately this is a serious relationship problem. It is entirely possible for people to change their minds about serious things like having a child or not. And it also possible from the beginning that wife thought that later/now she could change your mind… The decision to have children is not usually a strictly rational decision - Usually it’s emotions and feelings driven and that’s not so much subject to rational discussion to change one’s mind. That doesn’t invalidate those feelings and desires, but it means that there is a good chance this is make or break for this couple unless one of them changes their mind… OP, be very careful, it’s not unknown that wife could intentionally “forget” to use birth control in an effort to force the issue her way… I have two children and came from a large family. There are good things that come from having children that you both want. But it’s not for everyone and sometimes it just not appropriate at a particular time.

One final thing to consider in your personal calculations - Probably something like the majority of women within biological child bearing years are likely to want a child at some point or even already have one. Consider carefully that this will reduce your future choices if you decide that there is no way you want children… I am not saying that you must inevitably have a child if you want a marriage or long term relationship, but not wanting children will have consequences. There are women who don’t want children, but there are fewer of them in certain ages than those who do want children. In the end you have to live with your goals and decisions and the compromises you make… I advise seeing a relationship counselor to see if there is any wiggle room on either side that might lead to a compromise or change of heart. You each have a lot to think about and a nasty argument tends to harden opinions instead of being able to understand each other’s point of view.

You entered into the marriage with a deal. Now she wants to break that deal. That means the marriage is over. FYL. But good decision on your part! Applause for that.

EricW 4

marriage is meant for having children. wtf!?!

No, having sex is for having children. Marriage is, at best, kind of an outdated thing and mostly beneficial for money, inheritance (at least here) and tax reasons. Or if you really, really want to do it.