By Anonymous - 30/04/2014 05:17 - United States - Muncy

Today, while I was making dinner, my husband argued that our new dog has intelligence issues, and we should give him away. I angrily defended the poor thing, and had almost won, until the dog walked over and licked the inside of the hot oven door. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 836
You deserved it 6 158

Same thing different taste

Top comments

RedPillSucks 31

This is really an FtDL (**** the Dogs Life)

What I want to know is why the hell the "hot oven door" was able to be licked.. If he just walked over while you were still using it, then I feel more sorry for the dog that you left the hot oven open.. =/

Comments

I'm guessing it probably tasted like burning...

It's your responsibility to make sure the dog doesn't get into situations like this so I hope you do give it away then a decent family can actually get it and take care of it

Anonymous2194 4

Get off your ******* high horse. Don't act like you're better than OP. They're called accidents, you ******* idiot.

As #20 said, I doubt dogs would understand that ovens are hot. My dog likes to eat its own poop.

You probably shouldn't let your dog eat it's own poop..

Yes, of course you guys deserve a dog that understands the conventional oven, and meets any of your other standards. Absolutely.

Anonymous2194 4

Yes, of course you have the right to be an absolute douchebag.

That's not right. Your husband's first thought is to give it away because it's not too smart? Sounds like your husband doesn't deserve/shouldn't have a pet at all.

It's pretty normal because they'll start to associate ovens with warmth and food. Dogs aren't going to know an oven can burn them just by looking at it. They're animals, they mostly only know primal stuff and obvious dangers. It doesn't mean they're dumb, just that they're not human. Babies don't understand things like that either, but they learn. Dogs can learn it too. As a rule though, you should avoid making a dangerous situation around your dogs until they've learnt that they're dangerous. Either close the oven door immediately when not in use or don't allow your dog in the kitchen. You can train it to avoid the oven by bringing the dog in when the oven is cold and teaching him then, when it's safe to touch and the dog won't be harmed.

Maybe he just didn't understand that a hot dog is not actually a dog.

imagineapc 11

**** you both for getting a dog when neither of you were prepared for the training they need. **** you both again for not stopping your dog from licking the inside of a hot oven door. Dogs go after food, there was food in the oven. This is not rocket science - it's called being responsible.

Anonymous2194 4

**** you for being an asshole. Reported.

You only get out of your pets what you put in, don't expect them to be trained and know what you want or expect without training.

Krissey_DJ 16

I had 4 dogs and not once did they ever lick anything hot :/ It's not like dogs can't sense heat and know it bad. That's like a basic survival instinct. Everyone is saying shame on the OP for leaving the oven door open, but I don't think a dog licking it is such a common occurrence Plus she was cooking It's not like she just left it open the whole time, she was probably in the process of taking something out/putting something in, which is probably why the dog came over

imagineapc 11

So at what point would you, as the human who has been using ovens for years, take the responsibility you signed up for when you got the dog and tell the dog no?! A simple no would have sufficed and the dog would likely not have licked the oven.

I am sure the dog did not keep licking the oven, it probably happened pretty fast and op did say no. Now if the dog DID keep licking the oven and op just watched it happen, the dog is really, really stupid and op is at fault.

Sure, they can sense heat as well as you or I can, but I know that I have occasionally burned myself on something that I didn't realize was hot until I touched it.