By Anonymous - 19/12/2013 22:49 - Australia - Kensington

Today, my mother decided to inform me that she doesn't believe canned food can have an expiry date and that the food is still okay to eat years after the 'supposed' expiry date. She's probably been cooking my dinner with expired food for over 17 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 936
You deserved it 5 009

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Canned food is good for a long time after the expiration date. Just sayin'. Manufactures print the "best by" date, but that doesn't mean it's spoiled even months later.

Comments

And yet you're still alive. Looks like Mamma was right.

perdix 29

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Unless you're a ghost or a zombie, you probably have superpowers.

And they said I was mad for wanting to create a race of atomic super men using expired can goods. Mwahahahaha.

I find the fact that you are still healthy very disturbing (though it's a good thing!) since you have been eating expired canned food for over 17 years.... What the hell is in the canned food?!

It could be just pasturized and in a vacuum seal

the fact ur ok kinda proves her point!!

she's right. everyone has gone stupid. They even put expiration dates on bottled water. Why?

Bottled water has an expiration date due to the Chemicals in the plastic bottle breaking down and contaminating the water. Canned water, especially if the can has a white inner lining is pretty much good forever. As for food, most canned food is good 3-5 years after the Expiration date. Canned Meats like Tuna and Roast Beef can go upwards of 10 - 20 years. Now Tomato Sauces, Stewed Tomatoes, and ESPECIALLY Tomato Paste, don't push it 6 months past the date. The acidity in the Tomatoes totally degrade the can, Micro holes appear and bacteria have a party. If the can is bulging, RUN!!! Nothing more awesome, disgusting, and smelly as a can of tomato goods that has exploded.