By Anonymous - 19/12/2013 22:49 - Australia - Kensington

Today, my mother decided to inform me that she doesn't believe canned food can have an expiry date and that the food is still okay to eat years after the 'supposed' expiry date. She's probably been cooking my dinner with expired food for over 17 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 936
You deserved it 5 009

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Canned food is good for a long time after the expiration date. Just sayin'. Manufactures print the "best by" date, but that doesn't mean it's spoiled even months later.

Comments

And you're not ill or ever have been? Result!

There never used to be a such thing as an expiration date. If it smells or tastes bad or has visible mold, don't eat it! If not, you'll be fine!

You are 17... you made it this far! If you are really concerned, time to start cooking yourself. Give mum a break!

It is true the expiry date is not really a set date. Look it up. As long as it has been kept clean dry and out if direct sunlight and not dented or the ends or one end is not popped out then yes it is still good.

Aged 24 I found out that my mam believed frozen food keeps indefinitely. We lived on frozen food growing up. Still alive though!

My step-sister's fiance thinks "Refrigerate after Opening" is a government conspiracy.

Cans don't have expiration dates. The date on it is about how long they assure you the TASTE of it. It's still eatable years after that, don't worry.

cryssycakesx3 22

most food is "edible" after it's expired.

If after seventeen years you never realized she was using expired food, it couldn't have been that bad.