By Anonymous - 19/12/2013 22:49 - Australia - Kensington

Today, my mother decided to inform me that she doesn't believe canned food can have an expiry date and that the food is still okay to eat years after the 'supposed' expiry date. She's probably been cooking my dinner with expired food for over 17 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 936
You deserved it 5 009

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Canned food is good for a long time after the expiration date. Just sayin'. Manufactures print the "best by" date, but that doesn't mean it's spoiled even months later.

Comments

Actually I think she's right. As long as the top of the can isn't domed it should be fine. That's why women did canning before preservatives so their food would last.

I'm pretty sure canned goods are good for years after the expiration date. I think that's just the date the store should sell the food by

Technically as long as the can isn't disfigured, she is correct... I had to do a study on this in our advanced biology class. you'd be amazed at how long certain foods last...

My mom is the same way... I've been fine so far lol

Tell her if she keeps doing that, you could catch botulism and actually die.

My mom is the same way OP. I'm amazed I survived childhood.

When first read about botulism as an early teen I got so scared that I thought everything my parents fed to me was full of poison and I nearly drove them crazy. My mother even once read to me that a can a food that had been around for decades was found to be still edible. Of course, just because something is still edible doesn't mean it's still good-tasting.

The mother should watch some of Dr. Ashen's video's on YouTube, he shows disgusting expired food a lot in his videos. He once even had a can of rations left over from WW2. The stuff inside it did not look fit for a pig to eat.

sahracrou 7

Well, there are 2 things that can spoil food: microorganisms and chemical changes, which happen after certain time. I am no chemist, but I am microbiologist so on this topic: if the food is rightly stored (and was sterelized/pasteurized before, which all of the canned food normally is) then it should be safe for a long time, even after expiration date. If the package is not damaged, everything should be fine. But I still would not eat food that is years over date :) Depends on the food as well, if it is high in salt, shugar or low in water (dry) there is no way anything will grow, at least not microorganisms that cause food to spoil, since they do have limits considering their living environment. But you know, someone mentioned food from WW2? I don`t know if they had the same criteria for food saftey back then, I guess not :D So if it`s 40 years old, throw it away. If its one year after date...I am pretty sure it is still fine.