By Anonymous - 19/12/2013 22:49 - Australia - Kensington

Today, my mother decided to inform me that she doesn't believe canned food can have an expiry date and that the food is still okay to eat years after the 'supposed' expiry date. She's probably been cooking my dinner with expired food for over 17 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 936
You deserved it 5 009

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Canned food is good for a long time after the expiration date. Just sayin'. Manufactures print the "best by" date, but that doesn't mean it's spoiled even months later.

Comments

My dad feels the same way. When my daughter and I moved in with him for a little while a few years ago, I cleaned out his pantry to get rid of the many items that had been expired for years. He actually dug several items out of the trash can claiming they were still good because they were unopened. I had to just keep his groceries and mine on separate shelves and avoid eating anything he cooked.

I've eaten canned food a year out of date before. Yeah, it might not taste 100% the same as a brand new can, but it didn't kill me. Heck, I can't even recall throwing up, so it must not have been too harmful. Worst thing was the can of chili a year out of date that gave me the worst farts I'd ever had.

In all fairness, its canned chili. Even *fresh* canned chili can give you some vicious gas.

kyu_Q 19

process her point though. You have not gotten food poisoning or anything

stewpididiot 11

Rule of "thumb".. No.. Not that one...(boondocks saints) ... If you can pop the lid up & down with you're thumb(or finger) it's bad prolly with botulism...

"Canned food" contains dangerous preservatives which alter the human genomic sequence leading to an increased incidence of cancer, neurotic syndromes and neural pain by regular consumption. However, its use maybe few times per week is still safe. "Study at Howard medical"

In zombie apocalypse movies/shows that's the safest food to eat. You just have a head start for if one starts in real life :D

I don't typically eat canned food because it's not really my thing, but in general there are ways to tell if food has spoiled, the most obvious being smell. Weren't there recently some articles in the US that basically said expiration dates aren't all they are cracked up to be? Plus dates on cans can't be too strict or we wouldn't have canned food drives.

If you're still alive, she might have a point there.

I'm assuming you haven't been having frequent bouts of food poisoning. Your mom's 17 year experiment seems to indicate that her hypothesis is correct! You know that the Best Before date on SOME items is purely a marketing ploy, right?