By Anonymous - 19/12/2013 22:49 - Australia - Kensington

Today, my mother decided to inform me that she doesn't believe canned food can have an expiry date and that the food is still okay to eat years after the 'supposed' expiry date. She's probably been cooking my dinner with expired food for over 17 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 936
You deserved it 5 009

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Canned food is good for a long time after the expiration date. Just sayin'. Manufactures print the "best by" date, but that doesn't mean it's spoiled even months later.

Comments

And she hasn't killed you yet. Perhaps she's right. There is much evidence to suggest she is actually right.

She's correct. Expired food will have less or no nutrients but it should be safe to eat.

Well my dad used to deliver for this huge company that produces canned food. He says that when these canned food are nearing their expiry dates, they would be collected back from the shops selling them. Then the canned food company would erase the expiry dates, print later dates on these cans, and sell them off at cheaper prices.

well I bet she won the argument with you as evidence?

Your mom is right. The only reason they put an expiration date on it is because the government makes them. Even bottled water has an expiration date on it.

My mother-in-law is the same! I cleaned out the cupboards while they were away for a month... Some stuff was so old it didn't have a date! -.-

Danfran_1147 10

You're still alive aren't you? Quit complaining.

You ungreatful little ****. You haven't got food poisoning yet so what's the problem. Be happy that didn't happen to you and ask your mom not to cook with expired cans anymore.

canned foods can be good years past the expiration date. they just put them on so you buy more when they "expire"