By Anonymous - 26/10/2009 04:27 - United States

Today, my husband's daughter told us that she's 5 months pregnant. I'm going to be a step grandmother and I'm only 23 years old. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 131
You deserved it 48 288

Same thing different taste

Top comments

birds_fml 7

Let's say that, theoretically, the husband is not creepy old. The formula for the maximum difference in age without it being creepy is age/2+7. So, the oldest the husband could be without it being creepy is 32. If we assume that they JUST got married, and dated for more than a few weeks before getting married, I'd say the OP was probably 22 when they met, and the husband could've been 30 at most without it being creepy. So if the husband is now 31, then either he had his daughter at 15 and his daughter is 15 now, or maybe he was 16 and she's 14, or some other combination. Or he's a creepy old dude who marries younger women. Either way, YDI for either marrying an old guy, or for marrying a guy who had a kid when he was a teenager. You picked a classy guy, and so you get a guy with an obviously classy daughter. YDI.

Comments

Meh. My grandfather married a woman who has kids younger than I am. It was somewhat weird when I was 16 and my step uncles were 12 and 13. YDI for marrying an older dude. Your stepdaughter is likely less than ten years younger than you, which equals "ICK" in my book.

alex_vik 0

Hmm, let's do some math. Assuming your husband is 23, the same age as you. I'll say the daughter is 13. 23 - 13 = 10 (your husband's age when he had his kid), which is impossible. So, let's do 13 (your husband's age when he had his kid) + 13 = 26, which would be a normal age for him to marry you. But it's a highly implausible situation. So, instead we'll say he had his kid at 19. 19 + 13 = 32. So your husband is 9 years older than you possibly. Now let's try it with the daughter being 19. 19 + 19 = 38. In conclusion, your husband is probably anywhere from 9 - 15 years older than you. YDI

Ten is not an IMPOSSIBLE age for parenthood...there have been younger parents recorded. And, oh no, NINE YEARS older?! Damn, that's ancient. Will he still be able to provide for her and impregnate her while she is still in her ripe fertile years? Angelina Jolie is twelve years younger than Brad Pitt, but I've never heard anyone bitch about that fact. He's knocked her up more times than a brother and sister living alone together in the hills, but I guess because he's older, their relationship should burn in hell.

everydayisFML 0

and you actually think that someone who had a kid at ten years old would be a good person to marry?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? please please PLEASE tell me you're 15 and just have a LOT of maturing to do....

I knew I would be attacked by an idiot. Read my post again. I said ten is not an impossible age for parenthood. I said there have been records of it. It was in response to alex_vik's "Assuming your husband is 23, the same age as you. I'll say the daughter is 13. 23 - 13 = 10 (your husband's age when he had his kid), which is impossible" line. Did I say it was common? No. Did I say it was a good idea? No. Did I mention anything about it other than it was not impossible for a ten-year-old to reproduce if he/she has already hit puberty? No. So where you got the idea that I thought someone who had a kid at ten was a good person to marry, I haven't got a clue. *sigh* You obviously are the one who has growing up to do. So, why don't you do that, and get back to me when you can understand rational thinking.

I'm with #130. I've come across a few of your comments in this and I agree with a lot of it, if not all. An FYI for #86, there's a girl who has some disease that made her hit puberty within the first few months of her life. She got her first period at a couple months, was having it regularly before age one and was raped and impregnated at age 5. The baby survived and was raised as her sibling (I can't remember what sex it was) They were both told when one of them was I think 16 that she was actually the mother. And while that's a rare case, it's possible to become a parent incredibly young, especially for men, who can physically become fathers BEFORE the age of 10, although in no way, shape or form do I think it's morally ok for that to happen.

alex_vik 0

#160 - I was talking about your average person in your average civilized culture.

Well then why use the term "impossible". The average boy in average cultures can become a father before the age of ten. Maybe not much before, but still. It's more common for them to be producing sperm by ten than not. Stupid people annoy me. Please don't reply.

this is why you teach your kids the importance of birth control BEFORE it becomes an issue. the schools dont do it anymore, it's up to parents who don't wish to become grandparents to do it.

RVP23 0

YDI for either A) marrying an old guy, B) Marrying someone who was dumb enough to have a kid when he was in middle/high school or C) Marrying someone who's too dumb to teach his middle/high school age daughter birth control. I hope you don't procreate with him and make even MORE dumb people.

itt: a bunch of judgmental bitches true love has no borders; race, gender, and yes, age as well (which is not to say that a man and an 8-year-old can have true love, there is a threshold wherein one must be mature enough to understand and be capable of appropriate reciprocation). who are you to say that she is a gold digger when you don't even know her situation? that's naught but a baseless assumption oh wait i mean "bloo bloo bloo you married an older man ydi because i'm literally a baby who has no comprehension of how life works a-durrrr" aight peace ~

why is everybody assuming that the daughter is in her early teens? when I read it, I thought she was saying she was a trophy wife with a 40-50 year old husband who has a 20-30 year old daughter.

How could you not tell your step-daughter is 5 months pregnant? Unless she was already fat beforehand...Still, a baby bulge is really distinct, isn't it?

dinosgoRAWRR11 0

how is this an FML? oh boo you're going to be a grand-mother, who cares? I feel worse for the daughter in this situation if she is a teenager and worse for the husband if you are a trophy wife and are whining about his grown daughter having a child.

You better give your step-grandbaby lots and lots of purse-candies and spearmint gum!

wow you should be happy who cares how old you are you clearly shouldn't your dating an older guy